Austin ISD Superintendent Transition 2022–23
Superintendent Search Firm
The Austin ISD Board of Trustees released a Request for Proposals (RFP) for an executive search firm to assist in the search for a permanent superintendent. The RFP closed on January 10, 2023. Five firms provided responses: Alma Advisory Group, Eugene Associates PC, McPherson Jacobson LLC, GR Recruiting, and Ray and Associates Inc. The Board of Trustees has developed a small group of trustees to review and evaluate proposals.
The review committee consists of trustees Boswell, Gonzalez, Hunter and Lugo. Some of the questions they have asked have been:
OPENNESS & TRANSPARENCY OF SEARCH
Can you please share examples of searches you have conducted with transparency and community involvement beyond what is typical in Texas? The baseline expectation is transparency, community input, clear communication with the board and the community. Please share specifics about any searches in Texas or elsewhere that have gone beyond that to connect candidates and the community ahead of a hiring decision.
Please share your firm's beliefs about the goals and purpose of community engagement, and please share examples of how you have worked to connect with communities similar to the Austin ISD and City of Austin communities in the past.
Some firms bring experience conducting dozens or hundreds of superintendent searches. Some bring experience with very few searches. What do we need to know about your experience and how that impacts your capacity to conduct a strong and successful search for our community at this moment?
The full Board discussed the proposals during the January 12, 2023, Board Information meeting, and is scheduled to approve a firm at the January 26, 2023, Regular Voting meeting.
The Austin ISD Board of Trustees named an Interim Superintendent on December 15, 2022. The Board named Matias Segura, current Chief Operations Officer of Austin ISD, and the Interim Superintendent, effective January 3, 2023. Portions of the December 15, 2022 Board meeting discussing the Interim Superintendent may be found below-
Board President Artati Singh remarks on the interim process and current permanent superintendent search: https://youtu.be/ZosgYX6tWbc?t=4958
Comments by trustees on the selection of Interim Superintendent: https://youtu.be/ZosgYX6tWbc?t=17373
Comments by newly named Interim-in-waiting Matias Segura: https://youtu.be/ZosgYX6tWbc?t=18175
Virtual listening sessions for an Interim Superintendent were held Friday, December 2nd and Monday, December 5th. An in-person meeting was held on Saturday, December 3rd at 11:00 am in the Austin ISD Boardroom.
Austin ISD Interim Superintendent Anthony Mays has been named the sole finalist for the superintendent at Alief ISD. Dr. Mays expects to start at Alief ISD on Jan. 3, 2023.
Messages from the Austin ISD Board of Trustees
Austin ISD Board of Trustees will share frequent updates and messages with the community on behalf of the entire board of trustees.
- Dec. 17 / el 17 de diciembre: Statement from Austin ISD Board of Trustees / Declaración del presidente de la mesa directiva del Austin ISD en nombre de la mesa directiva
- Nov. 16 / el 16 de noviembre: Statement from Board President Geronimo Rodriguez, representing current and incoming trustees / Declaración del presidente de la mesa directiva, Gerónimo Rodríguez, en representación de los miembros actuales y entrantes de la mesa directiva
- Nov. 10 / el 10 de noviembre: Statement from Board President Geronimo Rodriguez / Declaración del presidente de la mesa directiva Gerónimo Rodríguez
- June 14 / el 14 de junio: Statement from Austin ISD Board of Trustees / Declaración de la mesa directiva del Austin ISD
- May 26 / el 26 de mayo: Statement from the Austin ISD Board of Trustees / Declaración de la mesa directiva del Austin ISD