87th Legislative Session
The 87th Regular Session ended Monday May 31, 2021 but there will certainly be a special session in the fall to address redistricting, and perhaps an earlier special session over the summer.
The Governor has until June 20 to act on any legislation passed in the final days of the session. Most education-related bills are expected to be enacted into law.
Austin ISD staff and statewide educational organizations, as well as the Texas Education Agency, are in the process of analyzing the final versions of the bills that passed.
Austin ISD Legislative Priorities
The Board of Trustees approved Austin ISD’s legislative priorities for the 87th legislative session November 16, 2020. The priorities focus on five major areas:
- Support sustainable state funding for HB 3 (86th Legislature).
- Oppose diversion of public tax dollars.
- Oppose any unfunded mandates.
- Support statewide approach to connect all Texas families to broadband.
- Support addressing the elimination of disproportionate impact suspensions and expulsions.
In addition, the board approved 28 specific priorities that relate to these five major areas, as an Appendix to the Board Priorities.
- Austin ISD Legislative Priorities for the 87th Legislature (PDF)
- Prioridades legislativas del Austin ISD para la 87.a Legislatura (vea el PDF)
The Board's highest priority was sustainable state funding for HB 3 (86th Legislature). Senate Bill 1 (Nelson), the appropriations bill, fully funds the current school finance formulas and accounts for student enrollment growth and inflation. In addition, six of the Board's priorities have become law or are set to become law, while four of the measures the Board opposed failed to become law. To view those priorities and related bills, click on "Bills."
Who Represents Me
- Representatives and contact information (PDF)
- Find your representatives, their websites and contact information
- Raise Your Hand Texas
- Texas Association of School Boards
- Texas PTA
- Texas School Coalition
- Texas Association of School Administrators
- Coalition for Public Schools
- Texans for Strong Public Schools
- Every Texan (formerly Center for Public Policy Priorities)