Austin ISD Athletics
Athletics teaches our student-athletes more than just how to play sports. They learn the value of being part of a team—both how to support their teammates and how to ask for support. They learn how to work hard to achieve their goals on the field and in the classroom. And they learn how to be productive citizens into today’s world.
Austin ISD’s Athletics Department aims to instill a passion for lifelong learning in all our student-athletes as we continually develop and grow the district’s athletic programs at all grade levels.
We promote athletics both on and off the field by showing our students that athletics is academics. We believe that the overall athletic experience is an integral part of our students’ educational journey.
AISD Athletic Director Leal Anderson
Leal Anderson was named AISD athletic director in spring 2014, having previously coached at Anderson High School for 10 seasons. In the 2012–13 season, he coached Anderson's boys varsity basketball team to the Regional Finals (Elite Eight) and set the school record for number of wins as a 5A Program. He was named the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches 5A Outstanding Coach for the 2012-13 season.
In 2015, the Texas High School Athletic Director’s Association named Anderson the Regional Athletic Administrator of the Year.
Anderson is a graduate of The University of Oklahoma, wher he earned a bachelor of business administration degree. In addition, he received his master’s degree in sports management at UT Austin.
Austin ISD Clear Bag Policy
Effective Aug. 30, visitors will be required to use clear bags at any Austin ISD central athletic facility. The central facilites are Burger Center, Delco Center, House Park, Nelson Field and the Noack Sports Complex.
The policy applies to both home and away games for all sports that are played at any of the five central facilities.
Approved bags must be clear and not exceed 12 in. (by 6 in. by 12 in.) or be a clear one-gallon resealable plastic freezer storage bag. One per person. Bags must be clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and have a maximum of one logo imprint not exceeding 4.5 in. tall x 3.4 in. wide.
The only non-clear bags permitted are small clutch bags (with or without a strap) that are the size of a hand. Exceptions will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at designated areas.
- Details on approved and non-approved bags, English (PDF).
- Detalles sobre bolsas permitidas, en español (PDF).
- Leal J. Anderson , Athletic Director, 512-414-1050
- Lorissa Demiranda , Athletic Department Secretary, 512-414-1050
- Lynn Pool, Assistant Athletic Director , 512-414-1044
- Mike Szymarek, Assistant Athletic Director , 512-414-1048
- Denise Vanlandingham , Athletic Trainer/Purchasing Coordinator , 512-414-1042
- Wade Johnston, Area Coordinator /Middle School Coordinator , 512-841-8331
- Odis Jones, Facilities Coordinator, Delco Center , 512-841-8323
- Shalanda Byers , Special Olympics Coordinator , 512-841-8336
- Lou Mora , Area Athletic Coordinator, 512-414-0019
- Lesley Carter , Accounting, Tickets and Game Help , 512-414-1046
- Irene Fabian, Security/Officials , 512-414-1045
- Jarell Routt , Area Athletic Coordinator/ Public Relations and Communications , 512-414-8036