The Internal Audit Department is an independent appraisal function responsible for monitoring the fiscal and administrative operations of Austin ISD. The Internal Audit Department is sanctioned by the Board of Trustees.
The Director of Internal Audit reports functionally to the Board of Trustees and administratively to the Superintendent. The functions of the Internal Audit Office are communicated to the Board of Trustees through written audit reports of findings, recommendations, opinions, and conclusions.
Audits are performed in compliance with federal and state laws and AISD Policies.
Internal Audit Activities
The Internal Audit Department performs fiscal and administrative operations of the Austin Independent School District. This includes:
- evaluation of procedures and controls
- documentation of fiscal and administrative methodologies
- follow-up on significant findings from previous audits
- special audits at the request of the Board of Trustees and management
- review of all operational areas for their stewardship of resources and compliance with established policies and procedures
- review of internal administrative and accounting controls designed to safeguard resources and insure compliance with laws and regulations
- participation in manual and automated system design as an advisor upon internal controls
- investigation of reported fraud, embezzlement, theft, waste, etc., and recommendation of controls to prevent or detect such occurrences
Audit projects are scheduled by the Director utilizing risk assessment, and are approved by the Board of Trustees. Through the Director, the Internal Audit Department staff is authorized to have full, free, and unrestricted access to all property, personnel, records and functions of the Austin Independent School District.
Management Advisory Services
In addition to the performance of various audits, the Internal Audit Department also provides management advisory services to the institution. The Internal Audit Department has a staff with experience, knowledge, and training in accounting, business, and administrative functions of the District. Requests for management advisory services should be addressed in writing to the Director.
Any fraud that is detected or suspected must be reported immediately to the Director of Internal Audit.
4000 S. IH-35
Austin, TX 78704