- About AISD
- Austin ISD 2018 Trustee Elections
- Trustee Boundaries
- Board Policy
- Finance Reports for Elected Trustees
- Finance Reports for Former Trustees
- Finance Reports for Candidates
- Finance Reports for Candidates not Elected
- Finance Reports for Specific-Purpose Committees
- Board Webcasts
- Chapter 176 of the Texas Local Government Code
- Legislative Issues Affecting Austin ISD
- School Finance Litigation
- 2011 Redistricting
Austin ISD 2018 Trustee Elections
Five trustee positions will appear on the 2018 ballot: Single-member trustee districts 1, 4, 6 and 7, and trustee at-large position 9.
Eligibility—Texas Election Code Section 141.001
To qualify for appointment by the board of trustees, a person must meet the following requirements:
- United States citizen;
- Residence—one year in state and six months in the single-member trustee district from which the position is elected or, if running for the at large-position, six months in the school district prior to filing deadline (Texas Elec. Code, Section 141.001(a)).
- Age—18 years or older on the first day of the term to be filled;
- Must be a registered voter at time of election. (Texas Elec. Code, Section 141.001(a)(6); Texas Gov’t Code, Section 601.009).
- Have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
- totally mentally incapacitated; or
- partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
Filing to Run for Trustee
Those wishing to run for one of the trustee positions in the November election must file the following document:
- Application for a Place on the Austin ISD General Election Ballot
http://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/forms/pol-sub/2-21f.pdf (NOTE: The application must be signed before a notary public. Notaries public are available at Austin ISD offices.) Forms are also available on the Secretary of State’s website.
Designation of a Campaign Treasurer
A candidate must file a designation of campaign treasurer before accepting any contribution or expending any contribution. A candidate may file such designation prior to filing an application for a place on the general election ballot. Forms and instructions are also available on the website of the Texas Ethics Commission.
Dates for filing application: 7:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. July 23–Aug. 23
Where to file application, designation of campaign treasurer and other reports:
- In person: 1111 W. Sixth St., Austin, Texas, Building A, Second Floor; file with the Director, Intergovernmental Relations and Policy Oversight
- By mail: Austin ISD, Attention Edna Ramón Butts, 1111 W. Sixth St., A 230, Austin, TX 78703
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m.–6 p.m. Monday–Thursday
During the district's summer efficiency schedule, effective through Aug. 17, business offices are open 7 a.m.–6 p.m. Monday–Thursday, with all offices closed on Fridays. Beginning Aug. 20, the district's office hours are 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday–Friday.
- Campaign Finance Report—https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/forms/coh.pdf
- Candidate/Officeholder Campaign Finance Report Instruction Guide—https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/forms/COH_ins.pdf
- Campaign Finance Guide, Texas Ethics Commission—https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/guides/coh_local_guide.pdf
- Texas Ethics Commission, 2018 Filing Schedule for Reports Due in Connection with Elections Held on Uniform Election Dates—https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/schedule/s18uniform.pdf
- Monday, July 23: First Day to File for a Place on the General Election Ballot
- Monday, Aug. 20: Last Day to File for Place on General Election Ballot
- Tuesday, Nov. 6: Election Day
- Tuesday, Dec. 11: Run-off Election (if necessary)
Texas Association of School Boards, Resources for Board Candidates: https://www.tasb.org/Services/Leadership-Team-Services/Resources/For-Board-Candidates.aspx