PPfT Appraisal History
AISD developed a local appraisal system to meet new state requirements for teacher appraisals during the 2016-2017 school year. AISD piloted a multi-measure teacher appraisal that covered instructional practice, student growth, professional expectations, student response surveys, and peer observation. The PPfT Appraisal system is based on the lessons learned from the pilot appraisal and REACH focusing on professional growth for teachers through a system of feedback and reflection.
The PPfT Appraisal was developed and implemented with 20 campuses in 2014-2015 to learn what is effective in the system. To align with the TEA timeline for the rollout of the state designed teacher appraisal system, the AISD PPfT Appraisal was in a refinement year for 2015-16 and continued at 35 campuses. On February 1, 2016, the Austin ISD Board of Trustees approved the PPfT Appraisal System,
unanimously. After two years of refinement and feedback, AISD implemented the PPfT Appraisal at all campuses during the 2016-17 school year.
The PPfT Appraisal is a multi-measure system that covers 3 areas:
- Instructional Practice
- Professional Growth and Responsibilities
- Student Growth (School-wide Value-added & Student Learning Objectives)
PPfT Appraisal Goals:
The ultimate goal of the PPfT Appraisal is to promote professional growth for all teachers, encourage more frequent, timely, and formative feedback, and to incorporate multiple indicators of success, including measures of student growth. The PPfT Appraisal system:
- fosters open and collaborative campus cultures that focus on instructional growth, supportive and contextual feedback, and the development of individual and school-wide practices that more effectively improve student learning;
- incorporates multiple measures of teacher effectiveness including in- and out-of-classroom indicators, student learning growth, and teacher self-reflection; and
- offers professional learning that links to evaluation results.
PPfT Appraisal System Requirements
The Austin ISD teacher appraisal and development system will:
- Reflect Austin ISD’s priorities and values
- Treat teaching as a profession
- Promote collaboration
- Provide for the continual professional development of teachers
- Support student achievement and growth
- Consider research and best practice
- Be fair, reliable, equitable, and humanistic
- Consider all teaching positions
- Reflect multiple aspects of teaching
- Be feasible and easily understood
- Evolve as a work in progress
- Work as a part of the larger Professional Pathways for Teachers Human Capital System
PPfT Guiding Principles for Teacher Appraisal and Development
The PPfT Appraisal will:
- be used for continual improvement;
- meaningfully differentiate performance using at least three measures;
- use multiple measures to determine performance levels, including data on student growth for all students and other measures of professional practice (e.g. observations based on rigorous teacher standards, teacher self-assessments, student surveys);
- evaluate teachers on a regular basis;
- provide clear, timely, and useful feedback, including feedback that identifies growth areas and guides professional learning; and
- develop teachers for Leadership Pathways.
PPfT Appraisal Resources:
Teachers or administrators interested in PPfT rubrics and resources related should visit our internal website. You must log in using your AISD credentials.