Who We Are
The Planning and Asset Management Department supports the Austin ISD to reinvent the urban school experience through short- and long-term facility planning. The team works to advance the district initiative to modernize all schools to support 21st century learning.
Melissa Laursen, AICP
Director of Planning
Director of Real Estate
Executive Assistant I
Administrative Assistant II
What We Do
- Collaborate with the Austin ISD community – parents, community members, advisory bodies, teachers, district staff, community partners, and other stakeholders on long-range planning efforts.
- Work with the Board-appointed Facilities and Bond Planning Advisory Committee (FABPAC) to develop updates to the Facilities Master Plan—a 25-year plan to modernize all district schools.
- Plan for future bond programs to align with strategic vision of the district and the Board-adopted Facilities Master Plan.
- Ensure new school facilities are designed to meet Educational Specifications.
- Analyze 5- and 10-year student enrollment and population projections developed by a K-12 demographic consultant, as well as residential development trends to plan for shifts in school population and enrollment.
- Monitor and analyze the capacity and space utilization for each school.
- Work with the Superintendent’s Boundary Advisory Committee to make recommendations for new school attendance areas and boundary changes for schools that are fall outside of the target range of 75-115% of permanent capacity when compared to enrollment.
- Manage all real estate issues relating to district-owned properties, and acquisition of future properties.
- Create maps using GIS to analyze and display spatial data.
- Prepare Educational Impact Statements for the City of Austin to determine the effect of proposed residential developments and demolition projects on AISD schools.
- Provide data analysis and maps for other district departments.
- Collaborate with the City of Austin, Travis County and other organizations on partnership opportunities.