Who We Are
The Planning and Asset Management Department supports our students, staff and community through short- and long-term facility planning. The team works to advance the district initiative to modernize all schools to support 21st century learning.
Melissa Laursen, AICP
Director of Planning
Abby Weiss, AICP
Executive Assistant I
Administrative Assistant II
Director of Real Estate
Facility Use Program Specialist
What We Do: Planning
- Collaborate with the Austin ISD community – parents, community members, advisory bodies, teachers, district staff, community partners, and other stakeholders on long-range planning efforts.
- Plan for future bond programs to align with strategic vision of the district and the Board-adopted Facilities Master Plan.
- Ensure new school facilities are designed to meet Educational Specifications.
- Analyze 5- and 10-year student enrollment and population projections developed by a K-12 demographic consultant, as well as residential development trends to plan for shifts in school population and enrollment.
- Monitor and analyze the capacity and space utilization for each school.
- Create maps using GIS to analyze and display spatial data.
- Prepare Educational Impact Statements for the City of Austin to determine the effect of proposed residential developments and demolition projects on AISD schools.
- Provide data analysis and maps for other district departments.
- Collaborate with the City of Austin, Travis County and other organizations on partnership opportunities.
What We Do: Asset Management
The Asset Management team is responsible for all real estate issues relating to district-owned properties, acquisition of land, and intergovernmental partnerships.
- Oversee the acquisition of land needed for new schools, modernizations or additions, including land contract negotiations and survey, environmental, feasibility and appraisal coordination
- Oversee the sale or long-term leases of district declared surplus properties
- Management of real estate records (deeds, title policies, leases, license agreements, and other documents)
- Work with other agencies on property related issues
- Coordination with AISD’s Director of Intergovernmental Relations on partnership opportunities
- Oversee the school repurposing process
- Facility Use
Director of Real Estate
4000 S. IH 35 Frontage, 4th Floor
Austin, TX 78704