Our District by the Numbers
- 230 square miles in the center of the Austin-Round Rock MSA
- 75,075 students enrolled in School Year 2020-21 (this include students that live outside of AISD boundaries, but are enrolled in AISD schools)
- 113 district-owned facilities support (that house 128 school programs):
- 13 high school programs
- 18 middle school programs
- 79 elementary schools
- 3 special school programs
- 16 district-owned support facilities including:
- Fine Arts
- Other support services
The Austin ISD contracts with a K-12 demographic consultant to perform demographic research and provide student population and enrollment projections. Development of the annual report involves the analysis and review of historic student enrollment and population trends, economic conditions, and vacant land and housing data.
Additionally, the planning team consults with the City of Austin's demographer to stay informed of population projections across the city as whole, and how they may impact AISD.
This annual 10-year report is utilized by the district for long-range planning purposes including updates to the Facilities Master Plan, preparing future bond programs to take out to the voters, and analysis of boundary changes for shifting populations.
On March 11, 2021, the 2020-21 demographic information was presented to the Board of Trustees. This presentation gives a district overview of key findings of the report, as well as supporting maps which help to illustrate the affect these findings have on our school communities.
- In 2020/21 the Austin Independent School District’s 2020/21 student enrollment is 75,075 students, an enrollment decline of 5,815 students over 2019/20, largely driven by the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The pandemic resulted in an unprecedented enrollment decline in elementary grades especially early education, pre-kindergarten and kindergarten as parents chose to delay enrolling their children.
- Of the 5,815 student enrollment decline, 2,375 was in early education and pre-kindergarten.
- AISD’s elementary school population (students that reside within district boundaries) is 35,569 students, a decline of 5,425 students (-13%) over 2019/20.
- Total elementary school population is projected to increase by 2,656 students in the next year as students return to normal in-person instruction, and roughly 3,220 students in the next 5 years.
- AISD’s middle school population is currently 15,903 students, a decline of 567 students over last year (-3.4%).
- The district’s middle school population is expected to decline by 711 middle school students in the next year, and 2,157 students in the next 5 years due to smaller class sizes moving into secondary campuses, despite an increase of 428 students last year.
- AISD’s high school population is 20,749 students, an increase of 54 students over last year.
- The district’s high school population is forecasted to decline by 77 students next year, and 1,671 students in the next 5 years.
- In 2021/22, AISD is projected to enroll 77,048 students, an increase of 1,973 students (2.6%) from the current year, when it is expected students will return post-pandemic.
- Although the district may see a student population decline 601 students in the next 5 years, the enrollment is projected to increase by 150 students and a projected enrollment of 75,225 students, an increase of 153 students due to out-of-district transfers.
- Students that reside outside of the AISD boundary, but transfer into the district remained flat between 2019/20 and 2020/21 at approximately 2,660.
- Nearly 15,000 apartment units and an additional 2,000 condo units are under construction across AISD, which will come online within the district in the next one to two years and are expected to yield minimal students.
- AISD added more than 4,285 multi-family units and 1,740 single family units in the last year, even as the district saw a decline in student yields.
- In 2019/20, the Austin Independent School District experienced an enrollment increase of 764 students, the first enrollment increase since 2011/12.
- Austin ISD currently enrolls 80,890 students including students transferring into AISD from other school districts.
- The district had positive Kindergarten growth for the first time in six years.
- The district has experienced negative impacts from area charter school openings and expansions, however, those impacts appear to have slowed in 2019/20 due to fewer charter campuses opening in the region.
- Students that reside outside of the AISD boundary increased for the fourth consecutive year, and now comprises more than 3% of the total district enrollment.
- The district currently has more than 10,200 market-rate multi-family units under construction that will become available in the next one to two years and are forecasted to yield minimal students.
- Within AISD, there are 1,900 mixed-income units under construction that are forecasted to yield more students than traditional market rate luxury complexes.
- AISD added more than 3,600 apartment and condominium units in the last year, even as the district saw an increase in unit yields between 2018/19 and 2019/20, likely the result of continued single family price appreciation and affordability concerns.
- Austin ISD’s 2019/20 student population excluding out of district transfers is 78,159 students, a population growth of 636 students over 2018/19.
- AISD’s elementary school population is 40,994 students, an increase of 173 students, or 0.42% over 2018/19.
- Total elementary school population is projected to decline by 1,396 students in the next 5 years, and roughly 1,608 students in the next 10 years.
- AISD’s middle school population is currently 16, 470 students, an increase of 428 students over last year.
- The district’s middle school population is expected to decline by 2,801 middle school students in the next 5 years and more than 3,305 students in the next 10 years due to smaller class sizes moving into secondary campuses.
- AISD’s high school population is 20,695 students, an increase of 35 students over last year.
- The district’s high school population is forecasted to decline by 400 students in the next 5 years, and more than 2,710 students in the next 10 years.
- In 2020/21, AISD is projected to enroll 80,314 students, a decreased of 576 students from the current year.
- In 5 years the district may see a population decline of almost 4,600 students with a projected 2024/25 enrollment of 76,293 students.
Melissa Laursen, AICP
Director of Planning
4000 S. IH 35 Frontage, 4th Floor
Austin, TX 78704