Facility Use Overview
Board Policy GKD (Local) permits public use of school facilities by non-school groups for educational, recreational, civic, or social activities, when these activities do not conflict with school use or Board Policy. Non-school groups are organizations other than school-sponsored groups (e.g., student clubs, school teams) and school support groups (e.g., PTAs, booster clubs).
- Organizations requesting use of school facilities must submit a Building Use Application to the school principal or designee for approval and signature three weeks prior to the date of the event.
- The following requirements for organizers and individuals involved in temporary food service operations in Austin and Travis County:
- An AISD Food Services employee must be present if AISD kitchens are used. If any food not prepared in an AISD kitchen will be served, a Temporary Food Event Permit must be obtained from the Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services Department (application attached).
- Contact the Food Services Manager at your campus at least 10 days prior to event. For large events, it may be necessary for the event organizer to meet 1 month prior to the event in order to properly plan food and sanitation facilities.
- Complete and submit the Temporary Food Event Information Form.
- Principal approves or disapproves the request and forwards the application to the Dept. of School, Family & Community Education/Facility Use at 4000 S. IH 35 Frontage Rd.
- Principal makes custodian, utility and other arrangements necessary to support the facility use request.
- The Dept. of School, Family & Community Education sends the applicant written notification of the approval or disapproval of the facility use request with an invoice outlining payment due to cover cost of event.
- Policy requires all building/custodial fees be collected in advance so the AISD budget is not negatively affected. Payments received are deposited in the District’s general fund. Fifty percent (50%) of the Facility Use Fees are rebated to the campus.
- AISD Board Policy encourages use of school facilities for activities that benefit students and the school community, so long as they do not interfere with the regular school program.
- Principals approve or disapprove facility use requests.
- Facility Use Fees and Custodian Fees are charged to offset the cost of facility use by community groups. If an organization will be serving any type of food, they must complete and submit the Temporary Food Permit from the Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services Department. Food Permit for non-school groups is $35.
- For Profit Organizations may use school facilities provided there is a written agreement that describes the purpose of the event, benefit to students or school community. The organization will be charged facility and custodial fees.
- Organized Religious Congregations may use school facilities for the same fee charged to other non-profit organizations.
- No Payment of Fees is to be made directly to the campus or campus staff. All fees are to be forwarded to the Dept. of School, Family & Community Education. Campuses will receive 50% of Facility Use Fees collected for use of the campus.
- Criminal History Record Information Requirement--Company shall, at its sole cost and expense, obtain for each covered employee the criminal history record information as required by TEC §22.0834.
- Contractor Insurance Guidelines--Beginning the 2012-2013 School Year, the Austin Independent School District will implement new Contractor Insurance Guidelines. Organizations who wish to rent or utilize an AISD facility for their designated purposes must also comply. Contact the Facility Use Office for guidelines.