Austin ISD is aligned with the City of Austin's zero waste goal to re-circularize (e.g. recycle, compost, share) over 90% of our surplus and waste by 2040. AISD is also committed to improving equity and reducing environmental and climate impact through our purchasing.To accomplish this, Austin ISD has several initiatives underway:
- A comprehensive recycling and organic composting program that includes:
- Recycling at every school,
- Food waste composting in every cafeteria,
- Recycling and composting at our athletics facilities,
- Recycling AISD special wastes, like e-waste and batteries,
- Eliminating styrofoam trays in cafeterias district-wide by converting to reusable, recyclable, and/or compostable trays.
- A community zero waste toolkit with guidance and resources
- An AISD BLEND Zero Waste class with resources like
- Kahoot games
- Sorting slide shows
- Access to Ecorise TEKS-aligned zero waste lessons for each grade
- Waste audit guidance
- Recycling and composting data available for each school
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Offering campuses recycling and compost bins by request (AISD login only)
Live or online bilingual sorting training by request for campuses (AISD login only)
NWF’s Eco‐Schools USA program is a nationwide program that engages Pre K‐12 school students, faculty, administrators and community volunteers in a comprehensive, environment‐based program to improve student environmental literacy and skills.
Keep Austin Beautiful Generation Zero: Generation Zero is an in-class youth education program that engages K-12 students in fun, interactive activities which raise awareness about recycling, composting, and conservation. Program includes three Keep Austin Beautiful staff-led service learning activities.