Homebound Instruction Overview
Homebound services are available to both general education and special education students based on Texas Education Agency criteria. Information is available with each campus nurse or you may contact Jaala Smith at 512-414-0184.
Homebound Program Eligibility
Austin ISD Homebound program is designed to provide instruction in the home or hospital setting to students with special health problems, temporary illnesses, or injuries that prevent their attendance on campus. The Homebound program is constructed to help students keep up with their schoolwork during their absence from school due to medical reasons in order that they may continue in their regular academic programs with as little loss as possible. Below are the steps and requirements needed to enroll a student in the Homebound program.
Eligibility for Homebound (General Education/504/Special Education)
- The student is confined to the home or hospital for a minimum of 4 weeks.
- The student is confined due to medical reasons only.
- The student’s medical condition is documented by a physician licensed to practice in the United States.
- Physicians Information Report - Español
- Consent to Release Information - Español
- Special Education and 504 Students Process for Homebound
Physicians Information Report may be obtained from the campus nurse or the Homebound Department. Please call 512-414-0184 or 512-414-0289 for more information.
Parents will be asked to sign the Consent for Release of Records form for the referring physician to enable a representative from the Homebound Office to contact the physician.
All documents can be faxed to 512-414-0390, mailed to 3500 Susquehanna Lane, Austin, TX 78723, or scanned to email@example.com.
Homebound Placement Procedures
After the Physicians Information Report is obtained it is reviewed by the homebound Office for compliance with Texas Education Agency eligibility criteria. The Physicians Information Report is not the sole determining factor in the committee’s decision-making process.
If the student meets the medical requirements for Homebound either a General Education Homebound meeting or an ARD is held. At the meeting, the information from the physician is reviewed as well as information from the student’s campus, such as course schedules, report cards, transcripts, and special education folder information if applicable.
Special Education Homebound
- ARD is scheduled
- ARD Committee consists of required members determined by meeting type.
- In making eligibility and placement decisions the ARD committee must consider the Physicians Information Report. However, the Physicians Information Report is not the sole determining factor in the committee’s decision-making process.
- The student’s ARD committee determines the amount of services to be provided to the student in this instructional arrangement/setting.
General Education/504 Homebound
- 504 Meeting is Scheduled
- 504 Committee consists of required members determined by meeting type.
In making eligibility and placement decisions the 504 committee must consider the Physicians Information Report. However, the Physicians Information Report is not the sole determining factor in the committee’s decision-making process.
- The student’s 504 committee determines the amount of services to be provided to the student in this instructional arrangement/setting