The Austin ISD Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) Program is a collaboration between AISD and the Austin Community College (ACC). The Program is funded through the Texas Workforce Commission and has been in operation for over 30 years.
The AISD AEL Program offers free ESL classes for adults ages 19 and up to learn basic English and to support their goals for: 1) personal growth; 2) career advancement; and 3) to increase their campus engagement in support of their child’s educational journey within AISD.
Experienced and passionate teachers lead students through activities to help them build and improve their skills in writing, reading, listening, speaking, and pronunciation. No matter their goals, our program creates an open and safe environment for adults to learn, practice, and progress in their learning.
The AEL program operates with the foundational principle that language should never be a barrier that prevents one from reaching their life goals. Students that are enrolled in and attend our ESL classes not only increase their command and use of the English language, but they are also better equipped to engage with school staff, PTA’s and others on behalf of their children's educational pursuits.
Who Can Enroll
Classes are Free but all students are asked to comply with the following:
- Must be at least 19 years old on date of enrollment
- Must provide/upload a "photo" government-issued ID (may be from any country or US state)
- Must have an email and phone number
- May NOT be in the US on an F1/F2, B1/B2, or J1/J2 Visa.
- Must attend at least 2 out of every 3 days weekly
- Must attend all registration and orientation activities
- Must attend every day during the first week of classes
- Must agree to comply with all the class all guidelines as set by the class instructor
- Must agree to participate in all assessment sessions
Spring 2024 Registration is Now Open!
Ready to sign up for class? Please follow these easy steps:
- If you have not already, please fill out a pre-registration form. This will give us information about you and your class interests.
- After viewing our fall schedules above, please fill out our enrollment form, available in English or Spanish. If you need help completing the form, please call Nicole Haynes at 512-414-2543 ext. 72440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please keep an eye on your email for a link to sign up for an in-person registration session.
- Attend an in person orientation session where you will complete remaining paperwork, take a placement test to determine your level, and choose your class.
- Arrive on your first day of class ready to learn and make new friends!
AEL Program Staff
Nicole Haynes—Program Coordinator
Algie Williams—Program Clerk
512-414-2543, ext. 72440