Food Allergies/Special Diets
AISD follows the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) guidelines for accommodating children with special needs.
- View allergens for all menu items at www.SchoolCafe.com/AustinISD.
- AISD does not serve any items containing peanuts or tree nuts.
- We offer vegetarian options daily on all AISD menus.
- Families may request soy milk, gluten free bread, and vegan accommodations by contacting their school’s café manager.
- New World Bakery Allergy Statement
- Austin ISD Carb Counts (PDF)
Requirements to Make Accommodations:
AISD may provide menu changes for the following:
- Students who have a disability that requires an Individual Education Plan or a 504 plan and also have a special dietary need.
- Students who do not have a disability covered by the Americans with Disability Act, but who have a disease that is life-threatening or a food allergy that requires immediate medical attention such as an EpiPen to treat anaphylactic shock.
- Students who have allergies that need to be offered alternative menu items.
- Students that have religious or other beliefs (ex. no pork, vegetarian, vegan) that require dietary modifications.
- For children who do not meet the definition of a disability, or who do not have a food allergy or disease that is life threatening that requires alternate menu provisions, but have a food allergy can also have a physician fill out a "Request for Dietary Accommodation" form and reasonable accommodations will also be made for that student.
How to Request Accommodations:
- Obtain a copy of a Request for Dietary Accommodation form at the links below or from the school nurse.
- The form must be completed and signed by a medical doctor who is licensed to practice in Texas.
- Return the completed form to their school’s café manager.
- We will evaluate the form and inform the caregiver if the special need request meets the requirements of the regulations.
For additional information contact AISD Dietitian Rachel Dunn at Rachel.Dunn@austinisd.org or at 512-414-0250.