AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, and our mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
The AVID elective class targets students in the academic middle, who have the desire to go to college and are capable of completing rigorous curriculum using the will to work hard. In the AVID elective, students are routinely required to enroll in their school's toughest courses, such as honors or advanced placement classes.
Activities in AVID Secondary
- Learning with college tutors
- Enrolling in Pre-AP/AP coursework
- Visiting college campuses
- Continuously planning and preparing for college admissions
- Writing for all classes
- Preparing for a professional career
- Interacting with guest speakers
- Developing leadership skills
- Developing success strategies and study skills for lifelong learning
Based on the same learning foundation that underlies AVID secondary, AVID elementary focuses on grades three through six and is designed to be embedded into the daily instruction of elementary classrooms across entire grade levels to maintain schoolwide structures.
Key Components of AVID Elementary
Student Success Skills: Habits, behaviors, strategies that students learn, strengthen, and maintain throughout their academic careers.
Learning to: Write, Inquire, Collaborate, Organize, Read
Partnerships for life-long success: Building community in the classroom and grade level
Empowering students in an AVID elementary classroom:
- Student confidence and self-pride
- Student awareness of strengths and areas for growth
- Culture of high expectations
- Set, monitor, and celebrate individual, group, and classroom goals
AVID Program Coordinator
For more information about AVID Elementary, visit the AVID website.