AVID's Mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Advancement Via Individual Determination
What is AVID Elementary?
Based on the same learning foundation that underlies AVID Secondary, AVID Elementary focuses on grades 3 through 5/6 with on-ramps for K–2 and is designed to be embedded into the daily instruction of elementary classrooms across entire grade levels to maintain school wide structures.
AVID Elementary Key Areas and Components:
Student Success Skills: Habits, behaviors, strategies that students learn, strengthen, and maintain
throughout their academic careers.
Learning to: Write, Inquire, Collaborate, Organize, Read
Partnerships for life-long success: Building community in the classroom & grade level
Empowering students in an AVID Elementary classroom:
- Student confidence and self-pride
- Student awareness of strengths and areas for growth
- Culture of high expectations
- Set, monitor, and celebrate individual, group, and classroom goals
See for more information AVID website http://www.avid.org/elementary.ashx
What is AVID Secondary?
The AVID Elective class targets students in the academic middle, who have the desire to go to college and are capable of completing rigorous curriculum using the will to work hard. In the AVID Elective, students are routinely required to enroll in their school's toughest courses, such as honors or Advanced Placement
- Learning with college tutors
- Enrolling in Pre-AP/AP coursework
- Visiting college campuses
- Continuously planning and preparing for college admissions
- Writing for all classes
- Preparing for a professional career
- Interacting with guest speakers
- Developing leadership skills
- Developing success strategies and study skills for lifelong learning
AVID Program Contact
AVID Program Coordinator