AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, and our mission is to close the opportunity gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
The AVID elective class targets students in the academic middle, who have the desire to go to college and are capable of completing rigorous curriculum using the will to work hard. In the AVID elective, students are routinely required to enroll in their school's toughest courses, such as honors or advanced placement classes.
Activities in AVID Secondary
- Learning with college tutors
- Enrolling in Pre-AP/AP coursework
- Visiting college campuses
- Continuously planning and preparing for college admissions
- Writing for all classes
- Preparing for a professional career
- Interacting with guest speakers
- Developing leadership skills
- Developing success strategies and study skills for lifelong learning
- 14 AVID Middle School Campuses
- 10 AVID High School Campuses
scholarship totals from each graduating class.
2021 Austin ISD AVID Secondary (6-12) Snapshot
- 4,651 AVID Secondary Students
- 219 AVID Elective Sections
- 97.3% of AVID High Schoolers took courses allowing them to meet four year college entrance requirement
AVID Excel- Middle School Only
AVID Excel provides opportunities for emerging bilingual students to build vocabulary and literacy skills in order to prepare for the AVID Elective in high school while celebrating language, culture, and biliteracy.
AVID Excel Activities
In addition to various AVID Secondary activities, AVID Excel students participate in:
- Quote Analysis
- Language Domains: Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing
- Career Exploration
- Critical Reading Skills
- Foundations of Language and Word Parts
- Summer Bridge Learning Opportunities
In 2021, 500 students enrolled in AVID Excel at 7 middle school campuses. In partnership with AVID Center and the Multilingual Department, we have been able to provide coaching for implementation and growth.
Based on the same learning foundation that underlies AVID secondary, AVID elementary focuses on grades three through six and is designed to be embedded into the daily instruction of elementary classrooms across entire grade levels to maintain schoolwide structures.
Key Components of AVID Elementary
Student Success Skills: Habits, behaviors, strategies that students learn, strengthen, and maintain throughout their academic careers.
- Learning to: Write, Inquire, Collaborate, Organize, Read
- Partnerships for life-long success: Building community in the classroom and grade level
Empowering students in an AVID elementary classroom:
- Student confidence and self-pride
- Student awareness of strengths and areas for growth
- Culture of high expectations
- Set, monitor, and celebrate individual, group, and classroom goals
Activities in AVID Elementary
- 20 AVID Elementary Campuses, all Dual Language Campuses
2021 Austin ISD AVID Elementary (K-5) Snapshot
- 2,448 AVID Students
- 176 AVID Classrooms
- 134 AVID-trained Teachers
- 32 AVID-trained Administrators
AVID Program Coordinator