Austin ISD 504 Policies and FAQs

  • Q: Who do I contact to request a 504 meeting or to determine if my child is eligible for services in 504?
    Each AISD campus has a 504 campus coordinator. The coordinator is the main point of contact for 504 related questions and concerns. Please contact the home campus to determine who serves as the campus 504 coordinator.
  • Q: What is the timeline for my child to have a dyslexia evaluation completed?
    504 does not have a prescriptive timeline. While we strive to mirror special education timelines to complete an evaluation (45 school days for testing, with an additional 30 to complete feedback), there are exceptions. *The referral “timeline” starts when the 504 district department receives notice that consent has been signed for the dyslexia evaluation from the home campus.
  • Q: If my child no longer needs accommodations, does this mean they will be dismissed from 504 services?
    Not necessarily. 504 students may be placed on “monitor without a plan status,” meaning although they are in 504, they do not currently have a plan (accommodations). A student may need accommodations at a later time in their education and this enables a smooth transition.
  • Q: If my child is not failing or significantly behind their peers in school, does this mean they are ineligible for 504 services?
    No, 504 eligibility does not hinge on educational need, but the disability must cause a substantial limitation for at least one major life activity.
  • Q: If my child is in 504 with accommodations, does this automatically ensure they will receive these accommodations on college admission exams?
    No, you need to submit a separate accommodation request to the College Board for approval. College Board approval is required for every student requesting accommodations on college entrance exams — even those who receive accommodations regularly at school. The College Board’s request process can take up to seven weeks, so start early. Documentation of the student’s disability and need for specific accommodations is always required and must sometimes be submitted for College Board review. Visit the SSD site for information about the approval process.
  • Q: Once my child graduates, will his college get information about his disability and accommodations?
    No, your child is responsible for advocating for themselves at the college level. They will need to visit the college/university disabilities office with any evaluations/diagnoses and accommodation plans they have had at the high school level.
  • Q: How do I know if a student should be receiving 504 accommodations?
    You will receive an email that provides the name of the student and the current accommodations the 504 committee has agreed upon. This requires an electronic signature to ensure you received the accommodations and are aware of them. You must “click” in the body of the email to sign for each email you receive or the student will not appear to be in compliance. A PDF of the student’s accommodation plan will be attached to the email for you to save.
  • Q: Do I have to provide the accommodations in the 504 plan? What if I don’t agree with them?
    504 services are legally binding and you are required to provide the accommodations agreed upon by the 504 committee (i.e. those outlined in the Accommodation Plan). If you disagree with them, or don’t think they are helpful, you can share your input with your 504 campus coordinator so this may be considered at the next 504 meeting for the student, but you still must follow the most recent accommodations.
  • What do I do if I think a student may have dyslexia and isn’t diagnosed?
    Share this information with the campus dyslexia designee and the campus CST. They will guide you through the next appropriate steps. Please be sure your concern is logged into eCST.

Other Resources

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder is a national non-profit, tax-exempt (Section 501 (c) (3)) organization providing education, advocacy and support for individuals with ADHD. Includes a centralized database of over 6,000 books, scientific articles and other materials on ADHD

Books on ADHD, along with Organizations, Information & Support: Good books on ADHD, including some free publications. Also includes listing of organizations and parent support network.

ADHD and Sleep: Discussion of the effects that ADHD can have on sleep and some tips for a successful night - From

Legal Information

Section 504 Grievance ProceduresSpanish
Notice of Parent and Student Rights – Spanish

Medical Disabilities and Medical Information

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the leading national public health institute of the United States. It provides informative data about a variety of medical conditions.

American Academy of Pediatrics: An organization of 64,000 pediatricians committed to the optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.

National Alliance on Mental Illness is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.  NAMI advocates for access to services, treatment, support and research and is committed to raising awareness and building a community of hope for those with mental illness. 

National Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health is a national family-run organization linking more than 120 chapters and state organizations focused on the issues of children and youth with emotional, behavioral, or mental health needs and their families. It was conceived in Arlington, Virginia in February of 1989 by a group of 18 people determined to make a difference in the way the system works.

National Institute of Mental Health: The mission of NIMH is to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses through basic and clinical research, paving the way for prevention, recovery, and cure.  Detailed information concerning ADHD, as well as many other mental illnesses/disorders is available on their website. 


  1. Parent Newsletter #1
  2. Coping with Uncertainty: For Families of Children with Disabilities

State and Federal Resources

Office of Civil Rights: Legal information and rights. Frequently Asked Questions About Section 504 and the Education of Children with Disabilities.

Parent & Educator Resource Guide to Section 504 in Public Elementary & Secondary Schools: Published by the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), December, 2016.

Postsecondary Education for Students with Disabilities, OCR: The information in this pamphlet, provided by the Office for Civil Rights in the U. S. Department of Education, explains the rights and responsibilities of students with disabilities who are preparing to attend postsecondary schools. This pamphlet also explains the obligations of a postsecondary school to provide academic adjustments, including auxiliary aids and services, to ensure the school does not discriminate on the basis of disability.

Texas Education Agency Dyslexia Handbook contains guidelines for school districts to follow as they identify and provide services for students with dyslexia. In addition, information regarding the state's dyslexia statutes and their relation to various federal laws is included. El Manual Sobre la Dislexia, AGENCIA DE EDUCACIÓN DE TEXAS

Scholarship and Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities Information

Affordable is a list of scholarships available for students with disabilities, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, plus other disabilities. Includes financial aid resources compiled from many different websites.