Murchison Middle School opened the fall of 1967 on the 23.6 acre site of a former rock quarry. The original 112,000 ft2 building was planned to accommodate 1,000 students in 39 teaching stations. The school expanded in 1999 to include 14 additional classrooms. There have been minor improvements over the years, however in January 2021, Murchison opened up the new 3-story 6th grade center as well as new admin offices and Library.
Murchison is proud to be a member of the global network of IB World Schools. As the only IB MYP World School in Austin ISD, Murchison is dedicated to offering our students balanced and rigorous coursework that prepares them to become engaged citizens of the world. Our students drive inquiry, strive for multilingualism, participate in interdisciplinary study, and are committed to giving back through community service that is lead by students to improve our school and community. .
Campus highlights include:
- on-campus wildlife habitat, working student and community gardens
- high school credit world language courses in six languages (Chinese, French, German, Latin, Spanish, and Vietnamese)
- award-winning Fine Arts program with a multitude of choices
- highly certified AVID program
- argument-driven inquiry in laboratory sciences
- National and World competitive Robotics program
- championship-level Athletics
- high school credit CTE Pathways courses aligned with Anderson HS
- National Board Certified Teachers and Librarian
- variety of student leadership opportunities including Equity, SEL, & Leadership Teams
This feeder pattern represents the path students take as they advance to high school. Each child's exact path is determined by his or her home address. To find out where your child will attend, click on the school finder below the feeder pattern.
Points of Pride
2 years of Foreign Language High School Credit: Chinese, French, German, Latin, Vietnamese, & Spanish
SEL SEED Model Campus - 2019 - present
No Place for Hate Campus
Student & Family Supports
School Based Mental Health Center
Performance | Demographics
2022 STAAR Percent at Approaches Grade Level or above
As required by Senate Bill 1365 (87th Texas Legislature), academic accountability ratings for 2022 were limited to A, B, C, and Not Rated.
Source: Texas Education Agency