The Officers at the Austin ISD Police Department are committed to creating a safe working and educational environment and protecting Austin’s future by providing a diverse level of service, utilizing problem solving techniques, and embracing lasting partnerships for all stakeholders. We are always looking for qualified applicants who are willing to dedicate themselves to professional public service, team building, and making a true impact on student lives and the Austin communities AISD serves.
All applicants for Police Officer or Police Cadet must be 21 years of age, have a high school diploma or United States equivalency certificate. College or University hours from an accredited institution are preferred. All applicants must comply with the hiring standards set forth in the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Requirements for Peace Officer Licensing. The Department only accepts applications for Police Officer I and II from persons who hold a current TCOLE peace officer license. The Department accepts applications from those who do not hold a current TCOLE peace officer license only when a cadet position is open. When applying, ensure that you apply for a Police Cadet if you do not have a license and Police Officer 1 & 2 if you do.
Click HERE for a list of TCOLE licensed law enforcement academies.
POLICE OFFICER I & II
If you have graduated from a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) licensed police academy within the past two years, are currently working as a police officer, or have a current peace officer license, then you should apply for the Police Officer position by clicking HERE and select: Police Officer I & II.
POLICE OFFICER CADET
Periodically, the Austin ISD Police Department will open cadet positions, where selected applicants are sponsored by Austin ISD Police through a law enforcement academy, and then hired as a police officer upon graduation. If you have never attended nor graduated from a TCOLE licensed police academy, then you should apply for the Police Cadet position by clicking HERE and select: Police Officer Cadet. Keep in mind that if you do not see this position posted, then we are not currently taking applications for it.
How to Apply
Once you have accessed the page, complete an online application by clicking on "Apply". In order to have your application considered, be sure to complete the entire application. Once you have registered on the site, you must then select a Job Id code and press submit. Our department will contact you via email when your application has been processed and you are scheduled for testing. Please make certain that you supply a valid email address that you check frequently. We will also need your complete address and telephone numbers.
Benefits Package - Police Officer I & II
- Police Officer 1 (0-2 years of full time law enforcement experience) starting at $23.28/Hr [CT9] (depending on the individual's certification level.)
- Police Officer 2 (2 or more years of full time law enforcement experience) starting at $24.46/Hr [CT10] (depending on the individual’s certification level.)
- Cadet starting at $18.02/Hr while attending the police academy.
- Pay incentives for TCOLE certification, education, and years of law enforcement experience
- Comprehensive Health Coverage including medical, dental, life insurance, and flexible spending accounts
- Participation in Teacher Retirement System of Texas
- Social Security Participation
- Employee Discount Program and Attendance Incentive Program
- Minimum two-week TCOLE approved summer training
- Extensive opportunity to earn extra income through overtime and extra duty assignments serving Austin ISD and its surrounding communities.
- 260 duty days
- Paid Holidays (i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, etc.), plus 10 paid vacation days.
Austin ISD does not discriminate on the basis of sex, disability, race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation and/or national origin.
Our Hiring Process
When you receive an email invitation to test with the Austin ISD Police Department, it will include a set of instructions and a Personal History Statement that contains a list of documentation and paperwork that must be completed and submitted to the hiring coordinator on the test date. Invitations are typically sent out at least two weeks before the test date. The first two phases of the hiring process will likely occur in one day to accommodate applicants who need to travel long distances. Phase 1 consists of a physical agility test and a written test, while Phase 2 consists of an oral interview board.
Phase 1 - Physical Agility Test
- ¼ mile run over uneven ground that includes:
- Clearing a 2-foot and 4-foot wall
- Clearing a 5-foot chain link fence
- Up/Down stairs
- Standard height Window climb
- Low clearance obstacle (culvert pipe)
- Must be completed in 2 minutes 40 seconds
Phase 1 - Written Examination (for those who pass the Physical Agility Test)
- The National Police Officer Selection Test (POST) by Standard and Associates, Inc.
- Covers arithmetic, reading comprehension, grammar, and writing skills
- Study guide/practice tests available for purchase at https://www.ApplyToServe.com/Study/
- Must score at least a 70% average to pass, notified the same day
- Applicants with 5 or more years of current or recent full-time paid law enforcement experience may be exempt at the discretion of the Hiring Coordinator
Phase 2 – Oral Interview Board
- Applicants who pass Phase 1 will return in the afternoon for an oral interview board
- Depending on number of applicants, interviews may be scheduled for another day
- Board will consist of sworn law enforcement personnel and civilian staff
- Applicants from outside the immediate Austin area should bring a suitable change of clothes
Phase 3 – Background Investigation
- Applicants who pass Phase 2 will move into the background investigation
- A trained background investigator will conduct the investigation
- Be Honest – Lying is grounds for immediate disqualification, and possible criminal charges
- Be Thorough - Information left out of your Personal History Statement could result in disqualification
- Be Accurate – Incomplete Personal History Statements will not be accepted
Phase 4 – Interview with the Chief
- Applicants who pass Phase 3 will be scheduled for an interview with the Chief of Police
Request for Employment and Eligibility Pool
- Applicants who pass all phases of the hiring process will be placed in an Eligibility Pool
- Applicants will be selected based upon who the Department believes will best serve the District’s stakeholders and the Department’s Mission Statement
- A Request for Employment will be made by the Austin ISD Human Resources Department
- Applicants in the Eligibility Pool will be eligible for hire up to six (6) months after their test date
- Applicants who are not selected within those six (6) months will need to reapply and retest
Hiring and Field Training Program
If selected, the applicant will be sworn in as a police officer for the Austin ISD Police Department by the Chief of Police. They will then be placed into a mandatory Field Training Program. The Field Training Program lasts at least sixteen (16) weeks, but could last longer or shorter based upon years of prior full time law enforcement experience and the officer-in-training’s ability to grasp the concepts of the job. Upon completion of the Field Training Program, officers will be assigned to a high school or middle school campus as a School Resource Officer, or will be assigned to our 24/7 patrol division. Newly hired officers will be on a Probationary status for the first year after their hire date.
What are you waiting for?
Please click the "Join Us" button below to go to the Austin ISD Human Resources Department to determine if the District is currently accepting applications for police officer and/or police cadets.
For More Information Contact:Sergeant Travis Pickford Austin ISD Police Department Training and Recruiting Division 1111 W. 6th Street, Suite C-120 Austin, Texas 78703 Dispatch: 512-414-1703 Office: 512-414-1122 firstname.lastname@example.org