Austin ISD is committed to hiring highly qualified teachers and teaching assistants. The following links will guide you through the routes to certification and explain the requirements and application process for each certification route.
If you have questions or need any additional information, please contact the AISD Office of Human Capital through Let's Talk or at 512-414-1721.
- TX STANDARD CERTIFICATE AND OUT OF STATE STANDARD CERTIFICATE
- Candidate has met all requirements to receive a TX standard certificate or one from the appropriate teacher certification entity from any other U.S state.
- ONE YEAR CERTIFICATE
- The candidate has an out of state or out of country certificate and has had it evaluated by TEA. They are eligible to start teaching but may need to complete additional requirements throughout their 1st year of teaching.
- INTERN CERTIFICATE
- The candidate is currently enrolled in an alternative certification program, has met preliminary requirements (such as exams and training) to be eligible to teach but still needs to complete additional requirements throughout their 1st year of teaching.
- EMERGENCY PERMIT
- EC-6: Must have completed 12 semester credit hours in a combination of subjects directly related to the elementary curriculum, elementary education, or any combination of these areas.
- 7-12: Must have completed 24 semester credit hours in the subject to be taught; or 24 semester credit hours toward a composite teaching field appropriate for the assignment, including at least 12 hours in the subject to be taught.
- SCHOOL DISTRICT TEACHING PERMIT
- Candidate has a bachelor's degree
- Candidate has never been and is not currently part of a certification program
- Candidate has never failed a certification exam
- DISTRICT OF INNOVATION
- Math and Science candidates who are not otherwise certified through any other route.
- Out of state certified candidates
- CTE Positions
- Languages Other Than English (LOTE) Positions
Becoming a Classroom Teacher in Texas
- University Based Programs
- Alternative Certification Programs
- Austin Teacher Academy
- TEA Educator Certification and Standards
- Educator Login/Account Set-up
- Certification/Testing Website
- Counselor and Librarian Permit Requirements
*We encourage all out-of-state and out-of-country applicants to apply immediately for the review of credentials, which can take up to four weeks.
Teachers Already Certified in Texas
All teachers employed with AISD must be certified in Texas and have a copy on file with the AISD Office of Human Capital. The certificate must be valid for employment in Texas public schools.
Services for certified teachers:
- Adding Additional Areas to your Standard Teaching Certificate
- Renewal of a Standard Certificate
- Principal and Superintendent Certification
- Student Services Certification
No Child Left Behind
The No Child Left Behind Act was reauthorized in 2001 with the intention of closing the achievement gap between groups of students by requiring greater accountability and offering increased flexibility and choice. The state of Texas requires all teachers of core content areas to be highly qualified; core content areas are art, English/language arts/reading, math, music, science, and social studies.
A highly qualified teacher has
- earned a bachelor's degree,
- demonstrated competency in the subject area assigned to teach,
- obtained full state certification as a teacher or has passed the state teacher licensing examination and
- not had certification or licensure requirements waived on an emergency, temporary or provisional basis.
For more information on NCLB guidelines, contact the Texas Education Agency Division of NCLB Program Coordination at 512-463-9374.