Teacher's Assistant to Special Education Teacher Certification Program Application now open!
If you're a current AISD Teaching Assistant who is passionate about teaching and holds a bachelor's degree, it's time to take the next step toward your teaching career.
Apply now and kick-start your journey to becoming a certified teacher!
The Application window closes on January 16, 2024.
Certifications and Resources
Austin ISD is committed to hiring highly qualified teachers and teaching assistants, and finding opportunities for all staff to obtain higher degrees. The more high-quality a teacher's education, the better education they're able to provide to students.
If you have questions or need any additional information, please contact the AISD Office of Talent Strategy through Let's Talk or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
I know what I want to teach. What certifications do I need?
You can view the Texas Education Agency's Teacher Assignment chart here. This will give you information on required certifications based on grade, content area, etc.
- A status of 'Retired' indicates a valid certificate that is no longer offered by TEA.
- At the Secondary Level, all Language Arts teachers must be ESL certified.
How do I become a certified classroom teacher in Texas?
- Region 13's Austin Teacher Academy
- TEA Educator Certification and Standards
- Educator Login/Account Set-up
- Certification/Testing Website
*We encourage all out-of-state and out-of-country applicants to apply immediately for the review of credentials, which can take up to four weeks.
Where can I get information on enrolling in an alternative certification program?
- Click here for more information on Region 13's Austin ISD Teacher Academy (ATA). ATA trains teachers for AISD in the critical needs areas of math, science, bilingual education, bilingual special education, and CTE.
- See all state-approved Alternative Certification Programs here.
I'm already certified to teach in Texas – what's next?
All teachers employed with AISD must be certified in Texas and have a copy on file with the AISD Office of Talent Strategy. The certificate must be valid for employment in Texas public schools.
Services for certified teachers:
- Adding Additional Areas to your Standard Teaching Certificate
- Renewal of a Standard Certificate
- Principal and Superintendent Certification
- Student Services Certification
Does AISD offer supports to prepare for ESL and/or Bilingual Certification?
Yes! AISD Multilingual Education Team (MET) offers a variety of trainings and supports for those seeking supplemental certification in bilingual or ESL. See certification support offerings from Multilingual Education.
Does AISD offer support for other certification exams?
If I am on a temporary teaching permit or certification, what are my next steps to obtain a standard certification?
We have a checklist that can be used to help determine your next steps based on your permit type.
If you're currently teaching under a District of Innovation Permit, click here to see your timeline for joining an Alternative Certification Program!
What opportunities are there for Higher Degrees through partner universities?
- Grand Canyon University - 250+ online bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs