Certifications and Resources
Austin ISD is committed to hiring highly qualified teachers and teaching assistants, and finding opportunities for all staff to obtain higher degrees. The more high-quality a teacher's education, the better education they're able to provide to students.
If you have questions or need any additional information, please contact the AISD Office of Human Capital through Let's Talk or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
I know what I want to teach. What certifications do I need?
You can view the Texas Education Agency's Teacher Assignment chart here. This will give you information on required certifications based on grade, content area, etc.
- A status of 'Retired' indicates a valid certificate that is no longer offered by TEA.
- At the Secondary Level, all Language Arts teachers must be ESL certified.
How do I become a certified classroom teacher in Texas?
- Region 13's Austin Teacher Academy
- TEA Educator Certification and Standards
- Educator Login/Account Set-up
- Certification/Testing Website
*We encourage all out-of-state and out-of-country applicants to apply immediately for the review of credentials, which can take up to four weeks.
Where can I get information on enrolling in an alternative certification program?
- Click here for more information on Region 13's Austin ISD Teacher Academy (ATA). ATA trains teachers for AISD in the critical needs areas of math, science, bilingual education, bilingual special education, and CTE.
- See all state-approved Alternative Certification Programs here.
I'm already certified to teach in Texas – what's next?
All teachers employed with AISD must be certified in Texas and have a copy on file with the AISD Office of Human Capital. The certificate must be valid for employment in Texas public schools.
Services for certified teachers:
- Adding Additional Areas to your Standard Teaching Certificate
- Renewal of a Standard Certificate
- Principal and Superintendent Certification
- Student Services Certification
Does AISD offer supports to prepare for ESL and/or Bilingual Certification?
Yes! AISD Multilingual Education Team (MET) offers a variety of trainings and supports for those seeking supplemental certification in
bilingual or ESL. See all of the offerings from MET here.
Does AISD offer support for other certification exams?
Yes! We have access to Study.com subscriptions. Click here for more information or simply reach out to email@example.com.
If I am on a temporary teaching permit or certification, what are my next steps to obtain a standard certification?
We have a checklist that can be used to help determine your next steps based on your permit type.
You can also join us for Certifications Zoom Office Hours if you have any questions. Click here for the Zoom link and details.
What opportunities are there for Higher Degrees through partner universities?
- Grand Canyon University - 250+ online bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs