On Feb. 26, the Austin ISD Board of Trustees voted to move forward with the renaming process for five district sites—the John T. Allan Facility, Zachary Taylor Fulmore Middle School, Sidney Lanier Early College High School, John H. Reagan Early College High School and Eastside Memorial Early College High School at the Johnston Campus (Albert Sidney Johnston).
Part of that process involves the opportunity for campus communities to submit names for consideration. Please use the form below to submit nominations for individual sites. For more information on the renaming Policy CW (LOCAL), please review the PDF.
From Policy CW (LOCAL), the criteria for the naming or renaming of a district facility shall include the following:
- A facility or part of an existing facility may be named for an individual, group, or organization, for a place such as a landmark or neighborhood, or for any other reason determined by the Board.
- The name must not already be in use by another District school or facility.
- If a facility or part of an existing facility is named or renamed for an individual, group, or organization, the following shall apply:
- The individual may be living, or if deceased, dead for at least 12 months, prior to the submission of the individual's name for consideration by the Board. However, the Board may consider naming a facility at any time for an individual who served in the United States military and died in the line of duty.
- The individual, group, or organization must embody exemplary qualities that can serve as a model of excellence and should adhere to the District's core beliefs and values.
- The individual, group, or organization must have made a significant contribution, which may include a financial donation, to the District, local community, state, or nation or have a connection to the District.
A petition shall not be considered by the board as a criterion for consideration.
As per district policy, nominations must align with the district's core beliefs and values. Austin ISD strongly discourages nominations that are vulgar in nature or use profanity or inappropriate/foul language.
Submissions are now closed and trustees are scheduled to discuss the nominations at their regular board meeting in October.