What is the Equity Advisory Committee?
Welcome to the Austin ISD Equity Advisory Committee's virtual home! The EAC works to inform and advise the school district to support the district in consistent and equitable resource allocation, evaluation, development and implementation of tools, policies and practices to achieve racial and social equity for students, teachers, staff and the community.
The EAC is an advisory group of individuals who represent different segments of the community. The EAC is made up of parents, community members, students, and district staff working together to achieve equitable outcomes for all students and families through coordinated efforts. The EAC serves as an advisory body to the Superintendent, who is responsible for administrative decisions and for providing administrative and policy recommendations to the Board for approval.
Educational equity means that each child receives what they need to develop to their full academic and social potential.
What working towards equity means:
- Ensuring equally high outcomes for all participants in our educational system; removing the predictability of success or failures that currently correlates with any social or cultural factor;
- Interrupting [Disrupting] inequitable practices, examining biases, and creating inclusive multicultural school environments for adults and children; and
- Discovering and cultivating the unique gifts, talents and interests that every human possesses.
Find more resources on the National Equity Project's website.
Public Comment FAQ:
- How much time is designated for the public comment section of the EAC agenda?
- 20 minutes total. Individuals will have a maximum of 2 minutes for their comment. There will be a timer on the screen indicating the time remaining.
- What is the process for making public comments?
- If you would like to sign up for a public comment at an EAC meeting, please sign up through the Google Form located in the Public Comment section of the website. The EAC Coordinator will announce at the beginning of the meeting if there is time available for individuals to decide to make a public comment during the meeting.
- If I find myself wanting to make a public comment during the meeting and haven’t signed up on the Google Form, what is the process to let you know?
- If you would like to make a public comment, simply type the word “casa” in the chat bar. The Coordinator will keep track of the individuals in the order they sign-up to make a comment. If you find that you cannot type in the chat bar, you can use the “raise your hand” Zoom feature, and the Coordinator will include your name in the chat bar and call on you when it is your turn.
- Anyone wishing to speak during the public comments portion of the meeting must read and abide by the Citizens Communications Guidelines.
- Do I have to say my name when I make a public comment?
- Yes. This is an open meeting, and meeting minutes (summary of the meeting) will be recorded and posted on the EAC website. Please state your name before making your public comment.