Project Hope & Empowerment ~ Leveraging Possibilities
Austin ISD - McKinney-Vento Covid-19 Response
- Check https://www.austinisd.org/covid19 for all updates related to student meals, remote learning resources, and more.
- Project HELP staff can be reached at the numbers listed on the website or by email.
- Make sure to contact your student’s campus if hotspots, Chromebooks, etc. are needed to support remote learning.
- Community Resources can be accessed here. Remember to contact 211 for any immediate needs.
- Websites such as https://www.foodpantries.org and https://www.auntbertha.com have a large list of resources that range from food support to emergency housing.
Project HELP's mission is to ensure the educational rights and protections due under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act to all students experiencing homelessness.
Three primary goals of Project HELP include: (1) providing services to an increasing number of Austin ISD students under McKinney-Vento, (2) maintaining partnerships/collaborations with our many community resource collaborators, and (3) ensuring our service strategies are student-centered and aligned with students foremost being academically successful.
Homeless Children and Youth under the McKinney-Vento Act
Who are Homeless Children and Unaccompanied Youth?
McKinney-Vento Act (Section 725) identifies homeless children and youth as those who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence. Key provisions in identifying homeless children and youth include, but are not limited to:
- Doubled-up with other persons due to loss of housing, hardship or similar reason
- Living in motels, outdoor/public spaces, substandard housing or similar settings
- Living in shelters (emergency or transitional) or transitional housing programs
- Migratory children who are living in any of the above circumstances
Department of School, Family & Community Education
Campbell Elementary School
2613 Rogers Ave. Room 207
Austin, TX 78722
- Rosie Coleman, Coordinator & District Homeless/Foster Care Liaison
Austin ISD - Department of School, Family and Community Education
- Laurie Lopez, Clerk V
- Howard Hooper, Jr., Project Supervisor
Anderson High School Vertical Team
Austin High Vertical Team
McCallum High School Vertical Team
Navarro Vertical Team
Foundation for the Homeless
- Brandi, Ramirez, Project Supervisor
Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders
Garza Independence High School
LBJ/LASA High School Vertical Team
- Northeast High School Vertical Team
Travis High School Vertical Team
Juvenile Justice Alternative Education Program (JJAEP)
Austin Women and Children's Shelter
- Lupe Ochoa, Project Supervisor
Akins High School Vertical Team
Bowie High School Vertical Team
Crockett High School Vertical Team
Eastside/International High Schools Vertical Team