Starting next week, Austin ISD substitute teachers could make up to $225 per day.
The district is also accepting applications for individuals with fewer than 60 college credit hours who will be eligible to work in elementary or middle schools and is offering additional compensation for filling high-need roles due to COVID-19.
The district is currently accepting applications for the 2021-22 school year.
Benefits of being a substitute teacher include the flexibility to work as many days as desired, providing instruction on a variety of subjects, and working directly with students in a dynamic classroom setting.
Rates of Pay
The base rate of pay for substitute teachers will be:
- $165 a day for Permanent Teacher Substitutes at underperforming schools
- $150 a day for Certified Substitute Teachers
- $140 for Degreed Substitute Teachers
- $130 for Substitute Teachers with 60+ College Hours
- $115 for Substitute Teachers who have fewer than 60 college credit hours.
The additional compensation includes:
- $25/day when fulfilling a teacher substitute role while Austin-Travis County is in Stage 5 of COVID-19 risk-based guidelines.
- Additional $300 for fulfilling a teacher substitute opportunity every working day within a given month when in Stage 4 & 5.
The district will still screen all applicants and conduct background checks prior to hiring, and substitutes will be provided substitute training prior to working on campus.
This base rate increase, along with the district’s competitive incentives, means that substitute teachers in AISD who work regularly can earn up to $225 a day.
Additional incentives, requirements, and information on applying can be found on the AISD website at www.austinisd.org/hc/careers/substitutes.