The Creative Learning Initiative
Our mission is to ensure that every child benefits from the arts and creative learning. The Creative Learning Initiative is an investment in the future of Austin. By experiencing creative learning and the arts both in and out of school, Austin ISD students are better prepared for school and life.
AISD is a lead partner in the Creative Learning Initiative, a community-wide partnership between the district, MINDPOP, the city of Austin and more than 100 community arts partners, with the shared goal of transforming education in Austin.
Our goals are to
- Create arts‐rich schools for all students.
- Create a community network that supports and sustains the arts‐rich life of every child.
- Develop leaders and systems that support and sustain quality creative learning for the development of the whole child.
- Demonstrate measurable effects on students, families, schools and our community.
MINDPOP: Why Creative Teaching?
MINDPOP and AISD share why Creative Teaching works.
CLI is being implemented in a phased 10-year approach in AISD schools. This approach allows the district to provide training for approximately 1,500 teachers at 36 schools at a time before the schools transition to their own sustainability plans.
CLI is currently being implemented in the following families of schools:
- Eastside Memorial ECHS Vertical Team
- LBJ ECHS Vertical Team
- Anderson Vertical Team
- McCallum Vertical Team (Sustaining)
- Travis ECHS Vertical Team (Sustaining)
- Crockett ECHS Vertical Team (Sustaining)
Each year, a new vertical team is selected to participate. By 2022, more than 6,000 teachers will be affecting the lives of AISD's 81,000 students through arts-based instructional strategies.
John Green-Otero, Creative Learning Initiative Coordinator