On Tuesday, Austin ISD Athletics updated its COVID-19 practices, including capacity limits for indoor games/activities, daily health screenings and masking for anyone not participating in vigorous activities. These practices also apply to everyone at athletic events at Austin ISD, including to those visiting from outside the district.
The updated recommendations are in response to the return to Stage 5 of the COVID-19 risk-based guidelines amidst the omicron outbreak. The changes are in line with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Changes to the COVID-19 practices include:
- Two-person per player capacity limit for indoor games/activities. All visitors are required to wear their masks.
- Verbal symptom screening will be done daily at practices to confirm athletes are feeling well.
- Face masks are required for athletes who are not engaged in vigorous activity and when on the sidelines, in the locker rooms, in meetings, etc.
- Athletic teams (varsity, junior varsity, freshman) will practice separately during workouts to not expose different levels with each other. Attendance rosters are required to be kept every day.
- Athletes need to bring their own labeled water bottle to practice every day.
- Athletic equipment will continue to be cleaned and disinfected regularly.
- Access to locker rooms will be limited. Staggering of athletes will be done when entering/exiting.
- Anyone who has symptoms should not be attending any type of school activity.
Families can take advantage of the COVID-19 vaccine pop-up clinics. The full list of clinics can be found on austinisd.org/covidvax.