Austin ISD will increase the pay for substitute teachers and teaching assistants beginning Nov. 16 with a potential of $210 per day for certified teachers.
The district is currently accepting applications for the 2020-21 school year.
The benefits of being a substitute teacher include the flexibility to work as many days as desired, providing instruction on a variety of subjects, and working directly with students in a dynamic classroom setting.
Rates of Pay
Beginning November 16, 2020, the base rate of pay for substitute teachers will be:
- $150 a day for Permanent Teacher Substitutes at underperforming schools
- $135 a day for Certified Substitute Teachers
- $125 for Degreed Substitute Teachers
- $115 for Substitutes Teachers with 60+ College Hours
The base rate of pay for substitute teacher assistants will be:
- $115 a day for Permanent Teacher Assistant Substitutes at underperforming schools
- $105 a day for Certified Substitute Teacher Assistants
- $100 for Degreed Substitute Teacher Assistants
- $95 for Substitute Teacher Assistants with 60+ College Hours
- $85 for Substitute Teacher Assistants with a High School diploma/GED
This base rate increase, along with the district’s competitive incentives, means that substitute teachers in AISD who work regularly can earn up to $210 a day.