Welcome to AISD's Library Media Services Department
Austin school libraries contain almost 2 million books! Search for books at your childs' library, or any library in the district using our online catalog.
We also acquire licensing for the use of many databases that provide the faculty and students of AISD access to authoritative and fun articles for every reading level. Discovery Streaming and Brainpop provide videos that directly support your childs' curriculum and Ebsco provides peer reviewed articles on almost any subject you can imagine! See all of the districts online resources sorted by grade level and subject matter.
Mission and Vision of AISD Libraries
The mission of Austin ISD libraries is to nurture a life-long appreciation of reading and learning by assuring that students have opportunities for successful access, evaluation and use of information, technology, and literature.
Librarians of Austin ISD believe that:
- collaboration between the library and school community promotes student achievement
- open access to library services and resources is essential
- school libraries and librarians positively impact literacy and life-long learning
- libraries support intellectual freedom
Austin ISD libraries provide up-to-date, relevant, and appropriate resources which facilitate and extend learning and meet students' individual reading needs.
Austin ISD librarians model and encourage life-long learning and literacy as a source of pleasure and power.
Austin ISD librarians work with the school community to promote student achievement.
Vision of Texas School Libraries
Texas students will attain knowledge and skills to become accomplished readers, independent learners, critical thinkers, creative problem solvers, and informed citizens through the expertise of school librarians and the use of resources and services provided by school library programs.
Mission of Texas School Libraries
The mission of the school library program and school librarian is to ensure that students, teachers, administrators, and staff are effective users of ideas and information.
This mission is accomplished by:
- Providing intellectual and physical access to materials in all formats;
- Providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing,and using information and ideas;
- Collaborating with other educators to plan, design, teach, and evaluate information literacy learning experiences to meet the needs of all students;
- Demonstrating effective leadership strategies in the administration of the program and in making connections to the broader learning community.
Adapted from Information Power: Building Partnerships for Learning. Copyright © 1998 American Library Association and Association for Educational Communications and Technology.