At their regular board meeting Monday night, Austin ISD trustees approved the calendar for the 2019–20 school year.
Three options had been presented to students, staff and families for voting Nov. 12–Dec. 20. Calendar B received the majority of the votes, with 6,339 out of 10,286 total votes.
The first day of class for students will be Aug. 20, with Aug. 13 as the first day for teachers. The last day of class for students will be May 28, 2020; teachers will end their year May 29, 2020.
Thanksgiving Break will remain five days long, Nov. 25–29.
- Students: Dec. 20, 2019–Jan. 6, 2020 (12 days)
- Staff: Dec. 23, 2019–Jan. 2, 2020 (9 days)
Spring Break will be March 16–20, 2020.
High school graduations are May 24–31, 2020. More information on graduations is available at austinisd.org/graduation.
Other details of the calendar include:
- Number of student instructional days: 175
- Holidays (all students and staff): July 4 and Sept. 2, 2019 (Labor Day); Jan. 20 (MLK Jr. Day) and May 25, 2020 (Memorial Day)
- Elementary parent conference days (staff development at secondary campuses): Oct. 14, 2019, and Feb. 17, 2020
- Bad weather makeup days: Feb. 17 and April 10, 2020
- Staff development waiver days:
- Elementary schools: Jan. 6 and April 10, 2020
- Middle and high schools: Oct. 14, 2019; Jan. 6, Feb. 17 and April 10, 2020
Because Austin ISD is a District of Innovation, campuses may choose to add professional development days/student holidays. Those dates have not yet been determined.
The current districtwide calendar is available at austinisd.org/calendar.