The annual 2016–17 Vision+Voice poetry contest, a collaboration between Austin ISD and Austin Community College, has announced the winners of this year's competition.
Winning poems from students at every grade level will be paired with art by an ACC art student to create posters, and all the winning poems will be collected into a 2016–17 anthology.
An award reception to see the poetry and artwork pairs will be 6:30 p.m. April 28 at the ACC Eastview Campus, 3401 Webberville Road.
Winning poems by grade level
- Kindergarten: Whale, Elle J., Ridgetop Elementary
- First grade: My Story, Ana D., Ross Baldwin Elementary
- Second grade: Tsunami, Ryan H., Boone Elementary
- Third grade: Art, Ivy N., Baldwin Elementary
- Fourth grade: Time, Martha N., Casis Elementary
- Fifth grade: The Flow of Life, Janhavi K., Kiker Elementary
- Sixth: The Heart Hears Music, Lily C., Lamar Middle School
- Seventh grade: Pearl Whiskers, Ivy M., Ann Richards School
- Eighth grade: Empty Scars, Rachel P., Covington Middle School
- Ninth grade: Nothing, Blayce W., Travis Early College High School
- 10th grade: Light (And Not), Miranda H., McCallum High School
- 11th grade: Badland, Saylor H., Bowie High School
- 12th grade: Deep in the Heart, Hailey A., Bowie High School
- Dean’s Choice: El Monstruo, Ximena S., Barbara Jordan Elementary