The Austin High Maroon Class of 2015 walked across the stage to receive their diplomas applauded by hundreds of family members and friends.
A small electrical fire prompted an evacuation, which interrupted the ceremony. But students and families proved they were truly "Loyal Forever" by returning and completing the awarding of diplomas.
As a class, the Austin High seniors have been awarded $10.5 million in college scholarships.
The following seniors were among those recognized for their achievement at the graduation ceremony:
- Alex and Joseph Estradawon the state championship in Policy Debate.
- The Maroon Varsity baseball team made it to Round Two of the state championship playoffs.
- Archer Hadley raised more than $87,000 during his wheelchair challenge to purchase and install five automatic door openers for the school. The wheelchair challenge is now being extended to other AISD high schools.
- Ben Root produced, edited and directed "The Archer Hadley Story," a film that was shown at the 2015 White House Film Festival.
- Christopher Garcia and Sonny Stephens were honored by the Hispanic Heritage Foundation with gold awards at the 16th Annual Dallas Regional Youth Awards for Latino seniors.
Congratulations to all our Austin High Maroons!