As part of AISD's summer energy efficiency program, the district will be closed for one week over July 1-5. Because Thursday, July 4, is a holiday, employees are already off work that day. For the remaining days, all 12-month employees who are on duty will be required to use accumulated vacation time. The average savings from summer shutdown save the district $387,000.
For a full-time employee, this would require the use of 32 vacation hours (4 days x 8 hours/day).
- An employee who does not have enough vacation time to cover July 1, 2, 3 and 5 must use personal leave to cover any vacation shortage. (All 12-month employees accrue five new workdays of personal leave in the month of July.)
- IMPORTANT: All employees who are on duty during this week must submit vacation time via the Workforce Time and Attendance system for July 1, 2, 3, and 5. Submit personal leave only if vacation is not sufficient to cover the hours absent.
Vacation Time for 12-Month Administrators and Professionals:
- 12-month administrators and professionals do not earn paid vacation time.
- Vacation time is actually unpaid, non-duty days remaining at the end of the employee’s contract period in June of each school year. For 2012-13, 230-day employees have seven (7) non-duty days remaining in June 2013. 220-day employees have 17 non-duty days.
- Those days appear as “Non Duty” or “Vacation” days on the employee’s check stub at the beginning of the school year, even though those days are not technically available until the end of the school year.
- Employees may choose to use those days in advance, before the end of the school year. However, if the employee resigns before the end of the school year, the employee will be docked for any days used in advance.
Vacation Time for 12-Month Classified Employees:
- 12-month classified employees earn paid vacation time at the rate of one workday each month, up to 10 vacation days/year.
- 12-month classified employees are scheduled for 260 days/year, including paid holidays.
Four-Day Workweeks: June 24-July 29
During a portion of the summer 2013, Austin ISD will be operating on a 4-day workweek. Employees who are on duty during this time will work 10 hours/day, Monday through Thursday. The District will be closed on Fridays. This schedule will be in effect during the following weeks:
- June 24-28 (closed on Friday, June 28)
- July 8-12 (closed on Friday, July 12)
- July 15-19 (closed on Friday, July 19)
- July 22-26 (closed Friday, July 26)
- July 29-August 2 (closed on Friday, August 2)
Daily Work Hours:
- During the 4-day workweeks, all District offices will be open for business from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- As long as all work hours are covered each day, Principals/Directors may work with employees to establish individual work schedules within the following options:1. Work from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with a 30 minute lunch.
2. Work from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with a 30 minute lunch.
3. Work from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with a one hour lunch.
During the 4-day workweeks, employee will need to report leave hours for a day off as follows:
- 100% employee: 10 hours/day
- 80% employee: 8 hours/day
- 75% employee: 7.5 hours/day
- 70% employee: 7 hours/day
- 60% employee: 6 hours/day
- 50% employee: 5 hours/day