In an effort to elevate the role of professional learning in a manner that differentiates learning, Austin ISD is implementing Professional Learning Exchange Days for the 2018-19 school year. Professional Learning Exchange Days will allow exempt, campus-based professional staff members to exchange two (2) regular duty days for two (2) non duty days of professional learning. Classified staff members (non-exempt employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), including SROs) are not eligible for exchange days and will report to work as regularly scheduled.
Professional Learning Exchange Days are mutually beneficial to the district and
staff as the approach:
- Offers individual and campus empowerment and flexibility around professional learning;
- Ensures staff engage in professional learning around district initiatives and priorities;
- Provides a variety of forms and structures for professional learning; and
- Increases access to professional learning while reducing substitute costs and teacher time away from instruction.
To support a smooth implementation of Professional Learning Exchange Days, please take a moment to review the following tools and resources:
- Professional Learning Exchange Days Guidelines
- The Employee PLED Approval Form may be helpful in having your staff submit their selected learning opportunities for your approval.
- The book study is to increase staff members’ content and/or pedagogical knowledge to assist all students in reaching high levels of achievement.
- The FAQs will be updated with answers to questions that you have about Professional Learning Exchange Day. If you have any additional questions, please contact Jan John at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An FAQ especially for TEACHERS
- Professional Learning Exchange Day Record Keeping Information
- F2F Professional Learning Opportunities for Exchange Day Credit
- Online Professional Learning Opportunities for Exchange Day Credit
- Professional Learning for Campus Based Non-Exempt Staff