News from Dr. Cruz: The Future of Austin
Oct. 7, 2014
This week, more than 200 of Austin’s business and community partners gathered for the 2014 State of the District address. Thanks to you, I was proud to tell them that we have an exceptional staff that creates positive outcomes every day. Here are some excerpts:
• AISD students have achieved their best performance under the toughest accountability standards in the state’s history.
• Our district's graduation rates are at an all-time high and continue to rise. For the Class of 2013, our federal graduation rate is 84.1 percent, a 1.6 percentage point increase over the prior year and all student groups posted substantial gains.
• This is good news for Austin, but we still face challenges in such areas as enrollment, recruiting and retaining the best teachers and staff and our district’s budget.
• At AISD, we know education plays a critical role in helping to bridge the economic divide. Our role is twofold: We must work together to help all of our students to experience all that Austin has to offer. And, we must help Austin embrace all that our students can offer.
• #AISDproud performance happens when students have teachers and principals who know and understand Austin’s diverse communities. Our students deserve the best educators—and our educators deserve competitive salaries. Our teachers and school leaders have choices. And, we want to make sure they choose Austin’s ISD.
• We walk with purpose to meet our destiny—as a school district and as a community.
• We invite you to co-create the future of AISD—Austin’s school district—by supporting mentoring programs, developing market-ready pathways to graduation and promoting our community of 129 schools as ambassadors for public education. Together, we will fulfill the promise of public education for all of our students.
So, as we move forward, let’s walk with purpose and continue to strive for excellence in Austin’s future – our students.
Paul Cruz, Ph.D.
P.S. Click here to watch the collection of We are AISD videos.