The Family and School Support Team (FASST) is a special education focused collaborative team that assists families and educational staff in navigating systems, connecting with necessary services, and offers free education and training classes. Research has consistently proven that the more involved families are in their children's education, the greater the academic achievement. Our goal is to strengthen the all‐important connection between schools and student families.
- Education & Training Classes for families and professionals on topics specific to Special Education:
- Pathways to College, Career, and Life Series
- Special Education 101 for PPCD Parents and Refugee Parents
- Autism Parenting Program and Autism Professional Development
- Training Series specific to Intellectual/Developmental Disability
- Training Series specific to ADHD
- Parent Book studies
- Grandparents and Guardians Support Groups
- 1:1 Advocacy and Assistance for families with educational issues
- Collaborative Teaming and assistance for parents/kincare families, as well as the educational team, with school or home issues that impact student success
- Resources for community services, camps, Medicaid Waiver Programs, trauma related concerns, special topics and funding options for families and school staff
- Coordination of districtwide Parent/Family Engagement and Special Education hosted community events
- Grandparents & Guardians Support Group that provides emotional support, information & coaching for kincare families and legal guardians
- “Pláticas/Chats” are campus hosted informal conversation circles with families/guardians of children with special needs, facilitated by a Social Services Specialist from FASST Connect in English or Spanish
- Campus Parent Ambassador Program is a campus‐based initiative where a special education parent leader hosts informational meetings & offers emotional support while directing parents to appropriate AISD and community resources
Family and School Support Team
Kathy Palomo, M.Ed.
Special Education Social Services Specialist
Maria "Cristina" Padilla, LCSW
Bilingual Social Services Specialist
About Bilingual Social Services
• Available to provide campus-based parent workshops on various topics related to special education, mental/behavioral health, parent rights, etc.
• Available to meet with parents individually to assess needs and provide assistance in connecting to community resources
• Available to provide brief limited counseling to Spanish speaking parents or students on waitlist for counseling on an as needed basis
• Available to facilitate parent support groups on various topics as needed
• Available to consult with staff on a case by case basis for problem solving and best practice methods in working with Spanish speaking families/students
ALL SERVICES are available in SPANISH !!!!
Especialista de Servicios Sociales
• Disponible para proporcionar talleres de padres basados en la esculea sobre diversos temas relacionados con la educación especial, la salud mental y conductal, y los derechos de padres
• Disponible para reunirse con los padres individualmente para evaluar las necesidades y proporcionar asistencia para conectarse a los recursos comunitarios
• Disponible para proporcionar un breve asesoramiento limitado a los padres o estudiantes para consejeria en una base limitado
• Disponible para facilitar los grupos de apoyo a las patentes sobre diversos temas
• Disponible para consultar con el personal sobre una base caso por caso para la solución de problemas y los mejores métodos de trabajar con las familias de habla hispana
¡¡¡¡ Todos los Servicios disponibles en Español !!!!