Students in Need of Technology
Families in need of devices for remote learning Nov. 30-Dec. 4 can contact their campus.
Technical Recommendations for Families Who Want to Use Their Own Technology
Austin ISD expects to have a sufficient inventory of Chromebooks and iPads to offer one to every student who needs one for remote learning. Here are some guidelines for families who would prefer to use their own technology, instead.
Students in Grades Pre-K3 Through Second Grade
There are compelling reasons for families of students in grades Pre-K3 through second grade to use the Austin ISD iPad available for their student. District iPads contain software that allows teachers to manage the apps and settings their students see, making it easier for them to participate in remote learning. Families of students in grades PreK to 2 can still choose to use their own iPads, but families should be confident in their ability to help the student download, use, and update the apps they will need for remote learning.
Students in Grades 3-12
"BYOD" (Bring Your Own Device) is a better option for remote learning for students in grades 3-12. Austin ISD teachers at those grade levels design remote learning experiences with Chromebooks in mind. Chromebooks use web-based tools through the Chrome web browser, and very little software that must be downloaded and run on the computer. If students use the Chrome browser and log in through the Austin ISD Portal, they should have a similar learning experience on most computers.
Important Considerations for Students in All Grades
Austin ISD devices have extra layers of security and Internet filtering, designed to keep students safe while they are online. Also, Austin ISD is not able to provide tech support for technology that is not supplied by the district. Families who choose to use their own devices should be prepared to solve technical problems and keep software updated.
Technical Recommendations for Students in Grades Pre-K3 through Second Grade
All Austin ISD students will be offered the iPad described on the Apple website. Please review those specifications when making the right choice for your family.
Technical Recommendations for Students in Grades 3-12
- Macintosh or Windows computer
- Operating System: Windows 10 or Mac OS X
- Hard Drive: 16GB (minimal needed; students should use their Austin ISD Google Drive for file storage)
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Processor: i3 intel (8th gen) Processor or similar (i.e., AMD)
- The latest version of Java
- The latest version of QuickTime
- The latest version of Adobe Reader
- Microphone (built-in is sufficient)
- A webcam for both video conferences and taking images of homework (built-in is sufficient)
- The latest version of Google Chrome
- Broadband Internet connection is required, with sufficient speed to run video conferences in which students can see multiple video streams simultaneously. (Zoom recommends 800kbps/1.0Mbps (up/down). Examples of broadband Internet connection are high-speed DSL or a Cable modem.