Athletics for the 2020–21 School Year
Each campus will have specific information regarding its athletic practice schedule and season.
Similar to summer strength and conditioning activities, practices and contests will follow protocols established by UIL, TEA and Austin ISD. In-season and off-season activities will follow the most current guidelines available.
Coaches will provide an orientation of protocols and expectations for students at the beginning of their season(s) and reinforce this information as needed.
Athletic Equipment and Uniforms
- Athletic equipment and uniforms will be issued to athletes.
- Students will be responsible for daily washing of practice uniforms.
- Game uniforms will be laundered at the direction of the coach.
- Equipment used during practices will be disinfected before, during, and after practice sessions.
- Staff and students must wear face coverings while inside locker rooms, meeting rooms, training rooms, and other areas where groups may congregate.
- Students are asked to bring a reusable water bottle to practice.
- Practice areas will be disinfected throughout and at the end of each day, and athletic areas will be frequently disinfected during the week.
- Athletics staff will monitor students before, during, and after practices/workouts to ensure effective use of school protocols.
- Students will provide their own water bottles, drinks, or prepackaged food and they will not be allowed to share these items.
- Visitors will not be allowed to attend a practice unless an appointment is made with the coach in advance.
- Limited seating capacity will be implemented at athletic events, based on guidance from Austin Public Health regarding the number of spectators that will be allowed to attend both indoor and outdoor events.
Participation in UIL Activities
Austin ISD, in collaboration with University Interscholastic League (UIL), will continue to follow local and state health orders and monitor guidance from the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention to determine any potential modifications to current plans.