Board Will Fill District 7 Vacancy by Appointment
Austin ISD Board of Trustees have decided to appoint someone to fill the vacant District 7 seat.
The passing of Trustee Robert Schneider in July meant an open seat on the board. Trustees were facing an Aug. 11 deadline to notify Travis County if they planned to hold a special election.
The board will now determine the process for appointing a new District 7 trustee and will keep the public informed of the process as it is developed.
Eligibility—Texas Election Code Section 141.001
To qualify for appointment by the board of trustees, a person must meet the following requirements:
- United States citizen;
- Residence—one year in state and six months in the single-member trustee district from which the position is elected or, if running for the at-large position, six months in the school district prior to filing deadline (Texas Elec. Code, Section 141.001(a)).
- Age—18 years or older on the first day of the term to be filled;
- Must be a registered voter at time of election. (Texas Elec. Code, Section 141.001(a)(6); Texas Gov’t Code, Section 601.009).
- Have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
1. totally mentally incapacitated; or
2. partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote; and
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.