AISD Earns High Marks on Nation’s Report Card
The National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as the nation’s report card, reported AISD students ranked second in fourth grade math and third in eighth grade math in the percentage of students scoring at the proficient or advanced levels. In reading, the students ranked third in both fourth and eighth grade. AISD’s English-language learners outperformed their peers in both the nation and large cities.
Thee strong results, particularly in the subject of math, are a testament to the district’s emphasis on numeracy, integration challenging content within the curriculum and the investment of resources to provide supports for students.
The Nation’s Report Card also reported:
- Austin’s economically disadvantaged students outscored their peers in both the nation and large cities on the fourth grade math assessment for the first time.
- Austin’s English-language learners outscored their peers in both the nation and large cities on the fourth grade reading assessment.
- Austin’s students in all groups outscored their peers in large cities on the eighth grade math assessment, and white students and English-language learners outscored their peers nationwide.
- Austin’s students in most groups outscored their peers in both large cities and the nation on the fourth grade math assessment.
- Even with dramatic decreases in the percentage of students excluded in the assessment, Austin’s fourth and eighth grade students still made significant gains over time in both reading and math.
Since 2005, Austin ISD has participated in NAEP’s Trial Urban District Assessment administration. Representative samples of students from a total of 21 school districts across the United States participated in the 2013 assessment of fourth and eighth grade students in reading and mathematics, which provides an opportunity to benchmark progress over time as well as performance against students in other participating urban districts, large U.S. cities and the nation.
To see the complete report, visit www.austinisd.org/dre.