- At-Risk CACFP
- Clean Labels
- Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
- District Charging Policy
- Food Truck
- Garden to Cafe
- Meal Applications
- Meal Prices
- Smart Snacks
- Special Dietary Needs
- Summer Food Service Program
- Temporary Food Event Permits
- Wellness Policy
- Contact Us
Food Allergies and Other Food Issues
Austin Independent School District
For allergens in all AISD menu items see menu app at www.schoolcafe.com
A.I.S.D. operates the National School Meals Program of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and follows the guidelines for Accommodating Children with Special Needs.
Menu changes may be provided for either:
(1) Students who have a disability that requires an Individual Education Plan or a 504 plan and also have a special dietary need.
(2) Students who do not have a disability covered by the Americans' with Disability Act (ADA), but who have a disease that is life threatening or a food allergy that requires immediate medical attention such as an epi pen to treat anaphylactic shock.
First step is to have a medical doctor who is licensed to practice medicine in Texas to complete and sign the "Request for Dietary Accommodation." The form is attached to the right on this page. It may also be obtained from the school nurse.
The completed form is to be given to the school nurse or cafeteria manager. After the form is evaluated by the Dietitian the parent or guardian will be informed if the special need request meets the requirements of the regulations.
For children who do not meet the definition of a disability or who do not have a food allergy or disease that is life threatening that requires alternate menu provisions, but have a food allergy can also have a physician fill out a "Request for Dietary Accommodation" form and reasonable accomidations will also be made for that student.
Allergens for all menu items can be found at www.schoolcafe.com.
Vegetarian/Vegan Diets: Vegetarian options are offered daily on all AISD menus. Vegan options are available daily upon request. Please let the cafeteria manager know that your child is interested in a vegan option daily and we will make accomodations. For additional information contact AISD Dietitian Ryan Cengel MS MA RD LD CPT at Ryan.Cengel@austinisd.org or at 512-414-0219