AISD Refugee and Immigration Information
The following communications were distributed by Austin ISD to provide information, resources and support for the AISD Community.
- AISD School Board Resolution to create safe environments for all students
- AISD Superintendent's letter about refugee, immigrant and school resources
- AISD FAQ: You rights, immigration and resources at Austin ISD
- AISD guidelines for employees about distributing information
- AISD teacher guideline for supporting immigrant and refugee students
- Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid Preparation Kit in Spanish
International Welcome Center
The International Welcome Center (IWC) provides important information about our schools to students new to the United States. The center provides assistance to families to ensure these students become proficient in English, acclimate to the American culture without losing their identity and contribute positively to society.
For more information, please contact: Parent Liason Rebecca Ramirez, email@example.com, at 512-414-6428 or Parent Support Coordinator Nora Montes de Flores, firstname.lastname@example.org, at 512-414-6426.
AISD Translation and Interpretation Team
The Translation and Interpretation team facilitates communication in a language that parents can understand.
The team provides resources to staff and school personnel to improve the delivery and quality of translation and interpretation services; deliver timely and quality translation and interpretation services; and create a general awareness of the importance of quality translation and interpretation services
The Office of Customer Service, in the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, has acquired Language Line Solutions. This service, which provides interpretation in more than 200 languages, offers over-the-phone conferencing and is now available to all campuses. If your campus does not have a Customer Service Liaison and needs access to this service, please contact Beverly Reeves at 512-414-9882 or email@example.com.
AISD Refugee Family Support Office
The AISD Refugee Family Support Office serves as a language and resource hub for refugee and asylee students and their families enrolled in the Austin Independent School District.
A refugee is someone who is forced to flee his/her home country due a well-founded fear of persecution and arrives in the United States already designated a refugee. An asylee is an immigrant in the US or at a port of entry who is found unable or unwilling to return to his/her home country of nationality due to a well-founded fear of persecution if they return to this country.
The Refugee Team supports over 18 languages and can facilitate interpretation or translation of the following:
- Parent/Teacher conferences
- Day-to-day interpretation services for 90 campuses (i.e. assist parents to understand school forms)
- Facilitate campus events targeting refugee families (i.e. Coffee with the Principal, Back to School Night, Know Your Rights events, etc.)
- Home visits
- Emergency language support for parents & campuses
- Removal Hearings & orientation at ALC
- Disciplinary matters
For all interpretation and translation requests, please contact: Maria Arabbo-Refugee Family Support Specialist at (512) 414-0545 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Registration Support
- Special Education Assistance
- Social/Emotional Support
- Training for School Staff and Community Agencies
For support and more information, please contact the Austin ISD Refugee Family Support Office at (512) 414-0545.