Student Teaching Program
In partnership with educator preparation programs across Texas and beyond, Austin ISD offers placement for student teachers in schools district-wide. Master AISD Cooperating Teachers open their classrooms to student teachers to coach, collaborate, and support these preservice educators.
BECOMING A STUDENT TEACHER IN AISD:
Student teacher placement requests are accepted from partnering educator preparation programs in the months before the start of each semester. Students who are interested in student teaching in AISD should contact their educator preparation program. Typically, fall student teacher placements are made in April and May and again in October and November for the Spring semester. After sharing placements with student teachers, requirements specific to each educator preparation program will be shared with the cooperating teacher by the program’s coordinator or field supervisor.
Criminal History Checks
Each student teacher, intern, and observer must have a current, cleared criminal history check before arriving on any campus. AISD completes criminal history checks for students interested in student teaching, interning, or observing in our classrooms. This process includes students completing a short application through our AppliTrack system. Educator preparation program staff also submit a background check request form for their students.
Student Teacher Orientation
A required Student Teacher Orientation is held each semester for incoming student teachers. During this orientation, we share AISD's expectations related to ethics & conduct and provide an overview of the district’s initiatives, programs, and online tools and platforms available to student teachers. In addition, the AISD Professional Learning team engages participants in a session focused on building relationships with students and district leaders provide information on the hiring process, so that those interested in securing a teaching job upon graduation can continue their teaching careers in AISD.
AISD offers effective teachers the opportunity to share their vast knowledge and expertise in the area of teaching and learning with student teachers, interns, and observers from partnering educator preparation programs. Cooperating teachers are lifelong learners who successfully implement best practices, are proficient collaborators and communicators, and are dedicated to supporting future educators. Effective cooperating teachers are an integral part of the development and success of the student teacher.
All AISD teachers receive email communication about this rewarding opportunity in the months before the fall and spring semesters. All interested teachers who meet eligibility requirements are encouraged to submit a Cooperating Teacher Agreement. Principal approval is also required.
Cooperating Teacher Eligibility:
- Commitment to supporting future educators.
- Positive attitude towards the profession, position, parents, students, and colleagues.
- A commitment to more equitable student outcomes.
- Ability to interact and provide feedback in a respectful, caring, and supportive way.
- Flexibility and patience.
- Good listening and problem solving skills.
- Willingness to share your classroom, materials, and resources with preservice students.
- At minimum, three years of experience in your current role.
- Valid credentials within your field.
- Received "Effective" or above on your current PPfT Appraisal.
- Strong knowledge base of your content area.
- Proficiency in lesson planning and delivery.
EDUCATOR PREPARATION PROGRAM PARTNERS:
- University of Texas at Austin
- Texas State University
- Texas Tech University
- St. Edward's University
- Huston-Tillotson University
- ESC Region 13
- Austin Community College
- Concordia University
- Texas A & M University
- Stephen F. Austin University
- Western Governors University
- Grand Canyon University
- Angelo State
- Educators of Excellence
- Texas Teachers