Principal Preparation Program (P3)
The Principal Preparation Program (P3) is designed to prepare a select cohort of experienced Austin ISD assistant principals and academy directors to successfully enter the urban principalship. The program provides cohort members the opportunity to gain targeted, timely, and personalized professional learning with a focus on the qualities and skills needed to lead an Austin ISD campus. Course content is aligned to the AISD Leadership Framework with the goal of operationalizing the AISD Strategic Plan.
- To prepare current assistant principals and academy directors for the Austin ISD principalship;
- To facilitate professional growth for participants that positively impacts current and future leadership roles; and
- To build a cadre of well-prepared urban school leaders who successfully transition into positions as principal.
Professional learning experiences will take various forms, including, but not limited to the following:
Face-to-face professional learning with senior district leaders and Learning Walks at AISD campuses to observe organizational practices and discuss leadership with current principals.
Cohort members will engage in a yearlong, group book study in which members are expected to explore, initiate and reflect upon high-yield leadership strategies that result in high student academic and social achievement.
The Leadership Development Team offers four coaching sessions per year to all P3 Cohort members. These sessions are designed to enhance each cohort member's skills and competence as a rising instructional leader, talent developer, executive leader and culture builder.
How to Apply for P3
To be considered for the Principal Preparation Program, each applicant must first meet the established criteria to apply. Applicants who are currently on the Principal Highly Qualified list are eligible for automatic admission into the AISD Principal Preparation Program.
Cohort Membership Criteria
In order to be selected for P3, each applicant must meet the following minimum:
- Currently hold a position as campus or central office administrator in Austin ISD;
- Have at least two or more years of service as a campus administrator (including the year of application);
- Must have a CAPR final summative score of “Effective” or better from the school year preceding the application submission.
Cohort Application Process
All aspiring P3 members must complete the following to be considered to participate in the program.
- Complete the 2023 - 2024 Principal Preparation Program application;
- Acquire one Recommendation Form submission from your current Principal or Central Office Supervisor; and
- Participate in an interview facilitated by the Leadership Development Team and other district officials.
- Applications for the 2023 - 2024 P3 Cohort selection will open on Thursday, March 30, 2023.
- Previous P3 members are not eligible to apply.
- Applicant submissions are screened by leaders from the Office of Leadership Development and Support.
- P3 appointments are announced in early June for the upcoming school year.