Clear bag policy
A clear bag policy is now in effect for most public events at the Frank Erwin Center, including all Austin ISD graduation ceremonies. This is the same clear bag policy in effect for all Texas Athletics events.
This means that all bags brought to graduation must be made of clear plastic and must meet certain size requirements. Approved bags include:
- Bags that are clear plastic and do not exceed 12"x6"x12"
- One-gallon clear resealable plastic storage bags
- Small clutch bags or purses do not have to be clear but cannot exceed 4.5"x6.5"
- Prohibited bags include:
- Diaper bags*
- Cases (camera, binocular, etc.)
- Fanny packs
- Printed pattern plastic bags
- Reusable grocery totes
- Mesh or straw bags
- Duffle bags
- Large totes
*Items normally carried in a diaper bag must be put into a clear plastic bag for venue entry.
Items not allowed in the building
Expect to have any purse or handbag visually inspected at the doors. Anyone refusing this policy will not be allowed into the building. The Frank Erwin Center restricts entry of the items below. Please refrain from attempting to bring these things into the Erwin Center.
- Food or beverages
- Banners, flags, signs larger than 8.5 in. x 11 in, balloons
- Noisemakers, including air horns, whistles, rattlers, cowbells or any other item that could be a distraction to guests and graduates
- Fireworks and/or weapons
- Baby strollers and wheelchairs are allowed, but cannot be left unattended inside the seating area. Unattended strollers and wheelchairs must be left at the entrances to the building.
- Recording devices
- Hard containers
- Items deemed unacceptable by building management
- Concealed handguns pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensed law). The Frank Erwin Center is a department of The University of Texas at Austin. For more information visit campuscarry.utexas.edu.
Meeting before the ceremony
If you arrive in cars and you wish to meet the rest of your party or your friends, the best place to do this is at the Bevo statue on the north side of the building. This is the easiest location to describe and see. It’s also the absolute best photo opportunity on the property.
All guests are required to walk through a magnetometer when they enter the Erwin Center. If the magnetometer alarms, that guest will need to be "wanded." Guests can do their part to speed up this process by emptying pockets of all items, including cell phones, keys, change and mint cans before going through the magnetometer.
Noisemakers, including air horns, whistles, rattles and cowbells, will also set off the alarm and will be confiscated at the door.
Please expect delays when trying to enter the Erwin Center, and plan to arrive early to avoid long lines.
Meeting after the ceremony
All graduates will exit the building through the Red River Street doors after the ceremony. We ask that you move outside as quickly as possible to meet your graduate so we can begin to prepare for the next ceremony. Graduates will not be allowed back inside once they leave through the Red River doors.