Back-to-School FAQs

General Questions

Q. When in the first day of school for the 2019-2020 school year? 

A. The first day of school is Tuesday, August 20, 2019.

Q. Is the district closed Thanksgiving week? 

A. Yes. Austin ISD will be closed November 25-29, 2019. 

Q. When is Winter Break? 

A. Students’ last day of class for the Fall semester is Friday, December 20, 2019. 

Q. When is Spring Break? 

A. Spring Break is March 16-20, 2020. 

Q. When is the last day of school? 

A. The last day of school is Thursday, May 28, 2020.

Q. What time does school start?

A. In general, elementary school starts at 7:45 a.m., middle school begins at 8:25 a.m., and high school start time is 9 a.m. Students must be in class by these times. Magnet and special campuses may have slightly different schedules. Please contact your child’s campus for start times specific to his or her school. 

For additional information regarding the 2019-2020 school calendar, download the 2019-20 Austin ISD school calendar PDF.

Q. I am unable to find my copy of the Student Code of Conduct. Where can I get another one? 


Q. How do I enroll my child in Austin ISD?

A. For students new to Austin ISD, you will need to create a Parent Cloud account to access the online registration system. To create an account, read the instructions on the Parent Cloud website. Parents of returning Austin ISD students should go to the Parent Cloud to enroll. For Kindergarten eligibility, the student must be five-years-old on or before September 1st of the current year. Please visit the Early Childhood website for more information.

If you are unsure which school your child should attend, visit the School Assignment by Residential Address web page or call the Office of Student Services at 512-414-1726. 

Q. What do I have to do to assume guardianship of a student?

A. There are two types of guardians for admitting a child into the district: (1) a court appointed (legal) guardian; and (2) a person recognized by the district as a child's guardian. If a child is placed by a court order or an agency no guardianship is required. The appointed guardian may enroll the child at the assigned AISD campus. To assume district guardianship, you must complete a GUARDIANSHIP STATEMENT (SR F310) form and attach a notarized statement from the parent indicating the reason guardianship has been given to another person, a copy of the birth certificate for the student, proof of residence (i.e. utility bill, lease, mortgage statement), a copy of the guardian’s photo ID. These forms are only available in the Office of Student Services at 1111 W. 6th Street, Room A-200. 

Q. How do I apply for a transfer for my child?

A. Austin ISD offers priority, non-priority and out-of-district transfers. The Office of Student Services manages this process and provides details regarding deadlines and application procedures.

Campus Information

Q. Where can I find information about my child's school?

A. Our website offers information on each campus in addition to providing a link to their individual website. Visit the school web pages.

Q. How do I contact my child's school?

A. You may call the school or contact Central Administration at 512-414-1700 for assistance. 

Q. Do I need a pass to visit my child's classroom?

A. Yes. All visitors are required to sign in at the campus's main office and provide a government-issued photo ID. A visitor's badge will be issued to you to wear during your visit. 

Q. What do I need to do if my child is going to be tardy or absent?

A. Contact the campus as soon as possible. Most campuses have a "hotline" where you can report a child absent or tardy. Be sure to send a written note with your child that explains the absence or why your child was tardy. For a list of schools, visit the school web pages. 

Q. Who do I contact if I need to pick my child up early from school?

A. Contact the teacher and the school's office staff as soon as possible to arrange for your student to leave early. 

Dress Code

Q. Is my child required to wear uniforms? 

A. Each campus determines whether students are required to wear uniforms. Please contact your child’s campus for information regarding dress code and school uniforms. For a list of schools, visit the school web pages. 

Student and Open Records 

Q. Where can I get a copy of my transcript?

A. Each campus is responsible for issuing their respective transcripts. Please contact the campus registrar for assistance. For a list of high schools, visit the school web pages. 

Q. How can I request my school records? 

A. To request student records, you must complete an AISD Records Request Form. These forms are available by emailing, or from the Office of Student Services at 1111 W. 6th Street, Room A-200. If you have questions, please call (512) 414-1726. Or download the PDF: AISD Records Request Form (English), or AISD Records Request Form (Spanish).

Q. How do I make an open records request? 

A. To make an open records request, you must submit a written request by mail, fax, email or in person that includes enough description and detail about the information requested to enable the district to accurately identify and locate the records requested. Please send your request to: 

  1. By mail: Office of the Superintendent, 1111 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78703 
  2. By email: 
  3. By fax: (512) 414-1486 
  4. In person: 1111 W 6th St., Room A250 

For additional information regarding the open records process, visit the district’s Texas Public Information Act web page.

Nutrition/Food Services 

Q. How do I apply for free/reduced lunch? 

A. Online meal applications can be submitted by creating an account on the School Cafe website. If you need assistance in setting up an account or completing the application, click here. Please note that a new application is required each school year. For additional information, visit the Meal Application web page on the Nutrition and Food Services website.


Q. I am having trouble with the Parent Cloud. Who do I contact? 

A. The Parent Cloud is a portal that allows parents/guardians to view their child’s schedule, attendance, and grades. In addition, you can email teachers, set up notifications, register your child and manage messages sent via SchoolMessenger. If you have trouble with this system, visit the Parent Cloud website or call Parent Technology Support at (512)- 414-9187.  

Health Services/Immunizations

Q. What immunizations are required for my student? 

A. Explanations and requirements can be found on the student health services page.

Q. My child needs to take medication during the day. What do I need to do to let the school know and make sure that he takes it? 

A. Only medications that are medically necessary during school hours should be sent to the school. Written authorization and the medication in its original container must be provided. Please use the Parent/Guardian Authorization of Medication at School PDF form (elementary) (middle/high).

Q. My child will be participating in AISD athletics. Does she have to get a physical? 

A. A yearly physical exam is required for students to participate in AISD athletics and must be dated after April 15, 2018 to be valid for the 2018-2019 school year. Forms for each level can be downloaded on the AISD athletics website.


Q. What is the policy regarding which students receive transportation?

A. Students are eligible for transportation if the following criteria are met: 

  1. Students reside two or more miles from their campus of regular attendance, i.e. home school, magnet school, or AISD Academy, measured along the shortest route to school. 
  2. Students living within two miles of their home school, magnet school or AISD Academy who would be subject to hazardous traffic conditions if they were to walk to school. 
  3. If you have questions regarding your student’s transportation eligibility, please visit the Transportation website or call (512) 414-0238. 

Q. I received a bus stop arm violation in the mail. What do I need to do? 

A. These violations are processed by a third-party vendor. Please visit the Violation Info website and log on with the information provided on the notice. You may also call (866) 790-4111.