Summer 2020 Update
What Do Parents Do With Devices If Students Will Not Be Attending Summer School?
For Seniors: If the student’s campus has a system for collecting Chromebooks, families can use that. Seniors may also bring Chromebooks to one of the AISD Computer Curbside locations.
- For students in grades 3-11, including those advancing to middle or high school: Students in these grades will keep their devices.
- Students who are withdrawing must drop off their Austin ISD devices to one of the AISD Computer Curbside locations at:
- AISD Performing Arts Center, 1500 Barbara Jordan Blvd. (Closed until Monday, 6/29)
- Crockett ECHS, 5601 Manchaca Road
For more information, view the Computer Curbside Flyer.
AISD has developed a program to get computers and internet access to as many students, homes, and neighborhoods as possible while campuses are closed. This program is aimed at helping families who do not have easy access to computers or the internet at home and will aid Austin ISD’s continuous learning initiatives.
Please check back, as this page will be updated with any changes.
- This spring, we distributed computers to students in grades 3-12 who did not already have one.
- Students who have just completed grades 3-11 can continue to use the Austin ISD computer they were assigned over the summer and in the fall (whether school buildings are open, closed, or a combination of both).
- Students who have just completed grades 3-11 who need an Austin ISD computer can request one by calling the main office of their school.
- Unfortunately, there are no WiFi hotspots available for distribution at this time.
- All devices delivered through the program are covered under the Austin Independent School District Acceptable Use Guidelines.
- Austin ISD has retrofitted its buses with WiFi capabilities up to a distance of 200 feet in order to serve apartments and neighborhoods identified as having the highest needs. Available from 8:00am-2:00pm, the locations are being adjusted as needed. The map linked here shows the most up-to-date location information:
Austin ISD Computer Repairs for Student and Staff
Over the summer, families may drop off non-working Austin ISD Chromebooks at the following locations, Monday-Thursday, 9:30am-3:30pm:
- The AISD Performing Arts Center (1500 Barbara Jordan Blvd; enter garage from east; exit only to Mueller)(Closed until Monday, 6/29)
- Crockett ECHS, 5601 Manchaca Road
Families will drive through, safely leave their broken Chromebook, and receive a working device. You can also get replacement chargers. Note: This is not a help desk, and no repairs will be done while you wait. Students do not have to be present. Students will receive a replacement device that might be different from the one they had. Students whose devices are working but who need technical support should call the student help desk at 512-414-4357.
Visit bit.ly/aisdcomputerwait for service changes and approximate wait times at each location.
Austin ISD staff can also return computers and drop them off for repairs at these locations.
Families Must Bring:
- Your Chromebook
- Your charger (if you have one)
- A piece of paper with:
- The student's full legal name
- The student's ID number
- A description of the problem "won't turn on," "cracked screen," etc.
Staff Must Bring:
- Your computer
- Complete a ServiceNow ticket prior to coming, and print a copy of the ticket. (If you cannot print, please write down the ticket number.)
Staff must back up all files prior to arriving.
Staff will either receive a Chromebook or must return in 1-2 weeks when notified that their laptop has been repaired.