Request for Sign Language Interpretation
For support with Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) meetings, please contact the Special Education Department at (512) 414-4063.
The Department of Communications and Community Engagement provides sign language interpretation services, as required under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) Amendments Act of 2008 and Board Policy GA (LEGAL).
At this moment, our office will cover the costs of two ASL interpreters. We encourage you to plan ahead with your teachers to utilize these two interpreters, but please be aware that it is a policy by Communication by Hand (the service provider) that their interpreters stay together and rotate the interpretation.
However, we would be happy to request additional interpreters so long as your campus is willing to pay for the additional cost.
The following services are provided:
- 504 meeting
- Discipline Hearing
- Early Childhood Screening
- Back-To-School Night
- Parent/Teacher Conference
- Curriculum Night
- PTA Meeting
- Award Ceremony
The following services are available for a fee-for-service and will be billed to your school or department. By submitting the request form you are agreeing to this requirement:
- School Play
- Sports Meeting
For support with Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) meetings, please contact the Special Education Department at 414-4063.
- All requests for sign language interpretation services, except for ARD, must be submitted electronically using the intake form below. We no longer accept requests via fax, email or phone.
- A minimum of 5 working days advance notice is requested.
- Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled start time. Otherwise, the requesting school/department will be billed for services as if they were delivered.
- Cancellations must be made between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except on holidays. Contact Communication by Hand at (512) 467-1917 to cancel an interpretation.
- If no sign language interpreter arrives within ten minutes of the scheduled start time, contact Communication by Hand at (512) 467-1917.
- If you have any questions, email email@example.com or call 414-4594.
- As an industry standard, interpreters bill for their services based on a 2 hour minimum.
- To prevent a career ending injury, most assignments lasting over 1 hour will require 2 interpreters. The interpreters will switch every 20-30 minutes and provide backup to each other.
- While the fees are within the industry standard they can vary depending on the time of day and duration of the interpreting encounter. Evening or requests outside of normal business hours can generally result in a higher cost.
- If you need a quote before submitting a request that will be covered by your department, please contact the Translation & Interpretation office at 512-414-4581 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.