Board Briefs: Work Session (May 13)
Options for the use of Allan facility for 2013-14 and discussion regarding Allan facility in 2014-15
The Board of Trustees discussed the following options for the Allan facility, which currently serves IDEA Allan students in pre-kindergarten through second grade and sixth grade:
- Lease the building to an external entity;
- Use the building for internal administrative staff; or
- Leave the building vacant so that it can be renovated for other potential academic programs during the 2014-15 school year.
These programs or initiatives were presented as ideas for programming beginning with the 2014-15 school year:
- Relocating the district’s Alternative Learning Center
- Creating a pre-kindergarten center
- Creating a district-wide dual language kindergarten through 8th grade or middle school program (SY2015-16)
- Establishing a site for the School for Young Men
- Creating a Career and Technical Education Center
Discussion of the Timeline and Related Decision-making Process for Implementation of School Bus Advertising Leading to Request for Proposals P13-055
On April 22, an item to approve a revenue sharing agreement with Steep Creek Media, LLC for school bus advertising was pulled from the consent agenda for further discussion. At the May 13 meeting, trustees discussed this item for possible inclusion on the May 20 consent agenda.
Steep Creek Media, LLC would solicit advertisers, pay all production and installation expenses, bill and collect from advertisers, and remit a share of the revenue to the district. In the first of the year of the program, advertisements would be placed on 10 percent of buses and bring in approximately $40,000 in revenue to the district. By the program’s fifth year, advertisements would run on about 80 percent of the district’s budget and would generate about $388,000 in revenue.