Board Briefs: Regular Board Meeting (Nov. 25)
President Vincent Torres presented a Thanksgiving message from the Board of Trustees to the community. Superintendent Meria Carstarphen recognized individuals and organizations that provided support for victims of the Oct. 31 floods in southeast Austin.
The board approved five resolutions:
- Tribute to Rev. Edward Jackson
- Tribute of Sam Z. Coronado
- Recognition of Travis High School’s 60th anniversary
- Recognition of McCallum High School's 60th anniversary and
- Recognition of the heroic efforts of all who assisted those affected by the Oct. 31 flood.
FY2014-15 Budget Assumptions and Staffing Formulas (Action)
The board approved the district’s initial budget assumptions and staffing formulas for FY2014-15. Approval of budget assumptions is considered a best practice—it improves transparency and enables the board to better understand the long-term financial implications of current and proposed policies and programs. Approving staffing formulas in November enables the administration to determine campus allocations, so that campuses can begin developing their master schedules in January.