MEDIA ADVISORY: Austin Chamber Helps AISD Seniors Maximize Funds for College
Austin ISD seniors can get help applying for college funding at several upcoming events hosted by the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce.
What: The Financial Aid Saturdays program provides free assistance to students looking for help in completing federal and state financial aid applications. The workshop benefits high school seniors, prospective/current college students and parents/guardians who may need assistance completing the forms. Financial aid experts from area colleges/universities, and business and community volunteers will also be on hand.
According to Ray Marshall Center for the Study of Human Resources at UT–Austin, 79 percent of seniors who submit their FAFSA will directly enroll in some form of post-secondary education.
- List of colleges and/or universities the student is interested in attending;
- Student/parent driver's license number and Social Security number;
- Student/parent alien registration card, if the student is a legal permanent resident;
- All student/parent/guardian 2015 tax documents, such as W2 Forms.
Financial Aid Saturdays will take place at two AISD locations each Saturday in February.
8:30 a.m.–noon Saturday, Feb. 6
- Akins High School,10701 S. First St.
- Bowie High School, 4103 W. Slaughter Lane
8:30 a.m.–noon Saturday, Feb. 13
- Austin High School, 1715 W. Cesar Chavez St.
- Crockett High School, 5601 Manchaca Road
8:30 a.m.–noon Saturday, Feb. 20
- Lanier High School, 1201 Payton Gin Road
- Reagan Early College High School, 7104 Berkman Drive
8:30 a.m.–noon Saturday, Feb. 27
- LBJ High School, 7309 Lazy Creek Drive
- Travis Early College High School, 1211 E. Oltorf St.
Background: The Financial Aid Saturdays program is a key element of the chamber's effort to increase regional direct-to-college enrollment from 61 percent in 2010 to 70 percent by 2016. The goal is to ensure Central Texas students get the higher education and training they need to compete in the workplace.
For more information, please visit financialaidsaturdays.org.