MEDIA ADVISORY: AISD Superintendent Visits Schools on First Day of Classes
AUSTIN, Texas--Austin ISD Superintendent Meria Carstarphen will welcome back students, families and staff members for the 2013-14 school year with special campus visits during the first day of school.
When: Monday, Aug. 6
6 to 6:30 a.m. - Media availability with Kris Hafezizadeh, director of transportation, at Southeast Bus Terminal, 7200 Bluff Springs Road.
AISD's transportation team offers tips for driving in school zones:
- Follow all posted speed signs
- Be aware of surroundings at all times and eliminate distractions
- Find alternate routes if possible
- Stop at all crosswalks, marked and unmarked, as pedestrians have the right of way
- Stop for all buses with red flashing lights
7:45 to 8:15 a.m. - Press conference at Reagan High School, 7104 Berkman Drive. Speakers include Carstarphen; Vincent Torres, board president; Pauline Dow, chief academic officer; and Anabel Garza; principal. The press conference culminates with a performance by the Raider drumline band and other student groups.
Background on Reagan High School
- Reagan is one of two Early College High Schools in the district; LBJ High school is the other.
- During 2012 and 2013, the football team was featured in the Sports Illustrated "Underdogs" program and online competition.
- The graduation rate for 2012 was 71.8 percent.
- 28.8 percent of students are Limited English Proficient, and 91 percent of students are classified as economically disadvantaged.
12:20 p.m. - Facilities tour at Murchison Middle School, 3700 North Hills Drive. Media are invited to tour the campus and classrooms with the superintendent and Sammilu Harrison, principal.
Background on Murchison Middle School
- Murchison earned an academic distinction in Reading/ELA in the most recent state accountability ratings.
- Home to Alexa Humberson, a special education teacher and one of three semifinalists for AISD's 2013 Teacher of the Year.
- Murchison considered to be one of AISD's more over-crowded campuses. In 2001 the district added a second story to the school to help accommodate a capacity of 1,100 students.
- A priority for the 2013-14 school year is to create a Facility Master Plan that will address overcrowding at Murchison and other schools.
To learn more about the 2013-14 school year, please visit www.austinisd.org/back2school.
For more information, please contact the Department of Communications and Community Engagement at 414-2414.