Conversation Corps to Discuss AISD Budget
Conversations will be held throughout May to gather community input
AISD wants feedback from the community on ways it can provide the best service to its families with a fiscally sound budget.
Throughout the month of May, Conversation Corps’ partnering agencies bring an opportunity to participate in discussions across the city and to share thoughts on shaping the AISD budget plans for FY2018 to FY2020.
The input gathered from the community will be presented to the AISD Trustees and considered when developing the proposed budget.
Visit conversationcorps.org for conversation locations and times.
Conversations already scheduled include:
Tuesday, May 10
- 7 p.m.–Cafe Java, 11900 Metric Blvd.
Wednesday, May 11
- 12:30 p.m.–Cafe Ruckus, 409 W. Second St.
- 4 p.m.–The University of Texas Student Activity Center, GSA Conference Room, SAC 3.102–2201 Speedway
Thursday, May 12
- 7:30 p.m.– Xiang Yun Temple, 6720 N. Capital of Texas Hwy.
Sunday, May 15
- 1 p.m.–University Presbyterian Church, 2203 San Antonio St.
Monday, May 16
- 4 p.m.–KOOP Radio Station, 3823 Airport Blvd.
Tuesday, May 17
- 8:30 a.m.–Bennu Coffee, 2001 E Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- 4:30 p.m.–Lyndon B. Johnson High School library, 7309 Lazy Creek Drive
Wednesday, May 18
- 8 a.m.–Palm Elementary School library, 7601 Dixie Drive*
Thursday, May 19
- 8 a.m.–Oak Hill Elementary School, 6101 Patton Ranch Road
- 8 a.m.–Barrington Elementary, 400 Cooper Drive*
- 7:30 p.m.–Orange Coworking, 2110 W. Slaughter Lane #160
Sunday, May 22
- 1 p.m.–Dove Springs Recreation Center, 5801 Ainez Drive
Wednesday, May 25
- 7:30 p.m.–Spicewood Springs Library, 8637 Spicewood Springs Road
Saturday, May 28
- 4 p.m.–Genuine Joe Coffeehouse - 2001 W. Anderson Lane
* Indicate conversations in Spanish.
Conversation Corps envisions an Austin in which all residents have the opportunity to participate in hosted conversations about Austin where they live, work and play. Every month, groups meet all around town for facilitated dialogue, discussing the same “issue of the month.” Conversations take place in a variety of venues—schools, houses of worship, community centers, coffee shops and restaurants—and last about an hour.
Trained facilitators lead each group through a structured dialogue, giving everyone a chance to share their thoughts and respond to what they have heard others say. Input from the dialogue is then delivered to the decision-makers of each issue. Participants are given the resources needed to stay in the loop and hear how their feedback affected decisions.
This initiative is a collaboration between the City of Austin, Capital Metro and AISD and is being administered in partnership with Leadership Austin.
For more information, please contact Leadership Austin’s Program Manager Julie Smith at 512-499-0435 or the City of Austin’s Communications and Public Information Office at 512-974-2220.